Column was founded by a fifth-generation member of a local newspaper family based in Manhattan, Kansas. We are a group of principled, talented builders who believe in dedicating our time and effort to solving hard problems that matter.
We are initially focused on the system of public notice, due to its critical importance to the future of journalism and the business of news. For centuries, laws have required that notification of certain actions be proactively distributed to the communities that they impact, by way of journalists — professionals that those communities trust to tell the truth and ask questions on their behalf.
We believe the challenges our information systems now face are existential ones for our system of self-governance. The best use of our time and talent is to do the hard work to fortify trustworthy institutions — young and old — and be active participants rather than bystanders to change.
Public notice exists at a unique intersection of government, journalism, and commerce. The technology we are building is a form of connective tissue that we expect to have far-reaching implications.
For many of the early members of the team, this is our second company together. We are building a company of consequence and know from experience that having a team of exceptional people is the best part of the journey. Our team is made of folks that have followed non-traditional paths to local media and to startups. Our founding team's first jobs included: newspaper delivery, political campaign staff, museum docent, library book-shelver, chartering planes, and rec-center marketing. We know that experiences with other industries, geographies, and life backgrounds are critical to creating the best product possible for our partners.
We are a team of principled, talented builders and are excited to build this public benefit corporation with other great people.
Column is a remote-first company with core members of our team on four continents and an in-person headquarters in Washington, DC.
Column is looking to make our first Customer Support hire and add a support generalist to our customer experience team as we rapidly onboard new publishing partners and support their ingestion of public notices from the communities they serve.
We are looking for a full-time addition to join a small team at an early-stage, venture-backed startup focused on the future of public interest information & local news.
As one of the early members of the team, you'll have an immediate impact on our go-to-market strategy, customer experience design, and team culture. In practice, this means everything from conducting customer interviews, making recommendations to product and development on customer feedback, doing customer support, interacting with teams across the organization, and creating a foundation for a world-class customer experience.
We are looking to add capacity rapidly. We think this role is excellent for someone who is drawn to joining a dynamic team trying to do something of consequence, enjoys interacting with a diverse range of customers and stakeholders, and wants to help build out a customer experience function from the ground-up.
Skills and responsibilities
This role will report directly to our Head of Customer Experience and will work collaboratively with our Product, Engineering, and Partnerships teams.
- Work with our users to resolve issues, create relationships, and build good habits to ensure they have a positive experience and feel supported.
- Support publishers and the folks they serve in transitioning to using Column for Public Notice.
- Report user behavior patterns to the Customer Experience and Product teams for how to continuously raise the bar.
- Interact with the Dev team to identify and resolve bugs that may occur in the system.
- Create positive experiences with well-timed, proactive communications.
- Never Stop Learning — we are a growing and evolving company and every member of our team is here to build the company from the ground up.
Washington,DCColumn is a remote-first company with team members all over the world. All roles are work-from-anywhere.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a
- Experience in customer success, customer support, product management, client-facing operations or consulting role, or as an entrepreneur/founder.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Confidence learning modern web tools.
- Personal interest (or professional exposure) in public interest information, journalism, and/or public policy.
- Excitement to be a part of building a company from the ground up.
- Rigor - attention to detail without losing the forest for the trees; strong analytical lens on what's working and what isn't — consistent and adept follow-through.
- Humility - This role will be invigorating in some ways and challenging in others. A quiet confidence switching gears between the fast-paced articulation of problems to be solved to finicky rote work involved in the execution will be helpful in this role (all while developing process automation to decrease the rote part of the role!).
- Optimism - we are setting out to do a hard and important thing in an industry underserved by modern technology, something entirely uncertain, and optimism that it is possible is a must.
- Effective Communicator - we want folks who are empathetic, exceptional listeners, and clear & concise communicators verbally and in writing.