Hala Systems, Inc. is a social enterprise working to transform the nature of protection and accountability in the world’s toughest places by democratizing advanced defense, sensing, and artificial intelligence technology. Hala is currently saving lives, reducing trauma, and improving resilience for millions of people.
Our team works across the globe and hails from over 15 countries. We speak over 20 languages and have studied and worked in leading educational, business, research and government institutions. We are mission-driven thinkers, and we share a deep respect for each other and for the communities that partner with us.
We believe in innovation with purpose, focusing on developing real and applicable technology solutions to the challenges facing the planet. We believe in working ethically and collaboratively, and making decisions with transparency. We value flexibility, adaptability, and a good sense of humor.
We are looking for a senior-level Software Engineer with experience developing full stack applications. Our existing stack is built on the AWS platform. Most apps use React, Node and GraphQL and our data pipelines harness a variety of exciting technologies like IoT, event-based architectures, and AI/ML. This role reports directly to the Lead Software Engineer, and interfaces with the Product, Design and Analytics teams.
Skills and responsibilities
What you’ll do:
- Write clean, maintainable code in a collaborative environment.
- Maintain security best practices, both personally, and in the development of applications.
- Communicate progress throughout the development process.
- Participate in scoping, planning, and process related meetings and conversations regularly.
- Work with team members to create realistic estimates for meeting project requirements.
- Refactor code as part of regular maintenance.
- Write testable code and documentation as part of the development process.
- Troubleshoot bugs and apply fixes in a timely manner.
- Research technologies and best practices in order to make technical and architectural decisions.
- Work with the Engineering Manager to ensure timelines are clear, and notify the team in the event of delays.
WASHINGTON,DCFully remote role, US East Coast working hours
- This job is remote friendly.
Who you are:
- Autodidactic, especially with regard to new technologies.
- Patient and resilient, with the ability to effectively deal with setbacks.
- A collaborative team player with experience working in a self-directed, autonomous fashion.
- A problem-solver who will continually look for a way to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- Interested in shaping team culture, development processes, strategies, and the long-term growth of our company.
What you have:
- Full Stack App Development experience at scale.
- Strong knowledge of the following (or related) technologies:
- React, React Native, Node, GraphQL, Cloud platforms, Github
- Experience working on a team as a Senior Software Engineer.
- Dedication to the quality of your work and your craft.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse team members across multiple time zones.
- Ability to spot potential bugs, issues, and pitfalls before they get translated into code and the motivation to work across teams to produce the best product for our users.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English.
- References attesting that you are values-driven, trustworthy, and honest.