Sphinx is a well capitalized start-up bringing together world class technologists to partner with the Federal Government to design, build, and manage software supporting the US Government's most critical missions in space and around the world. We're focused on building modern, scalable products with an emphasis on using open source technologies.
The Sphinx Satellite Communications team is a small, engineering focused team that prioritizes delivering quality products and learning from each other. The team is distributed across the US, with a strong culture that balances independence with collaboration. Expect talented, motivated, and interesting colleagues who are always looking to learn from each other.
Sphinx is hiring a Principal Backend Engineer to join our Satellite Communications team building a ground communications and data-transport platform for US government satellites. As a Principal Backend Engineer you will own the architecture and development of core platform services, designing and building technology to support the operations of a wide variety of US Government satellites. You'll work as both a individual contributor and a lead for more junior engineers.
Washington,DCSphinx is a fully distributed company with employees across the US.
- This job is remote friendly.
$175,000.00-$230,000.00yearly, The compensation range for this position is 175-230k/year, and includes meaningful equity ownership, profit sharing, employer 401(k) contribution, and 100% employer covered medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents.
- Deadline: n/a
We're looking for a track record of the following:
- Defining architectures and building services on public cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or GCP;
- Working with a team to develop and operate APIs and services as part of a platform;
- Developing with an emphasis on automation and security;
- Willingness to own a technical problem end-to-end, a habit of self-directed learning of new technologies, and the ability to see through the noise to the most important problem, and;
- The ability to work well with a team, a history of technical leadership and mentorship, and the ability to communicate clearly
You might be a good fit if:
- You have 7 years’ of software engineering experience with progressively increasing responsibilities;
- You have several years of experience architecting and building APIs and backend services;
- You can demonstrate in-depth knowledge of at least one commercial cloud platform and its associated services and a common PaaS offering/container orchestration technology;
- Are comfortable working with some ambiguity and able to self-direct your work, and;
- You’ve made enough mistakes and booked enough wins to know what not to build and know what good looks like.