Outvote, backed by YCombinator and Higher Ground Labs, was founded in 2017 as a get-out-the-vote tool for Democrats. Outvote has since expanded to become a distributed organizing platform allowing anyone to make an impact for the causes and candidates they care about. Our thesis is that grassroots activism at scale is better at changing hearts and minds than political ads. We empower activists with technology to make it easy to mobilize in a way that is both impactive and coordinated with the campaigns and organizations that have been doing this vital work for decades.
Columbia University’s Data Institute recently estimated Outvote’s cost per vote at $2, making our method the single most effective form of organizing. Outvote has been covered by The New York Times, Washington Post, TechCrunch, Fast Company, and many more.
In 2020, Outvote worked with over 900 campaigns and organizations including Planned Parenthood, SEIU, Michelle Obama’s When We All Vote, DCCC, DSCC, DNC, and presidential campaigns.
The Senior Rails Engineer will be responsible for owning and maintaining the entire Outvote backend. They will write code and contribute to the development process, collaborating with the CTO, lead engineer, and other employees and contractors on everything from planning technical requirements and design to testing and implementation.
Skills and responsibilities
- Plan technical solutions. Outline the implementation details from product specification documents given the current state of the Rails stack and performance and security implications.
- Implement new features. Work with the product manager, lead engineer, and CTO on the development process: taking off Github issues ready for development, putting in a pull request, handing off for staging deployment, QA, and ultimately production deployment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting. Innovate solutions for client tickets and assist in the bug fixing process.
- This job is remote friendly.
- At least five years of experience working in a consumer-facing production environment.
- At least five years of experience working with Ruby on Rails + Sidekiq + RSpec.
- Optional experience working with React, React Native, Expo, Elasticsearch, Redis, Heroku, AWS RDS, New Relic, Github, Travis CI, Scout, Datadog, and Airbrake.
- Excited by the daily rigor and short-term demands of a start-up and able to tie those to long-term strategic initiatives.
- Passionate about politics and activism, social impact and responsibility, and volunteering and fundraising for social good.
We don’t expect each candidate to have expertise in every single one of these areas — we’re looking for candidates who are strong in a couple of areas, and are passionate about learning and growing in others.
We eagerly accept applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Outvote is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our employees’ differences, and know that differences — of all kinds — make us infinitely stronger.