Alluma is a non-profit on a bold mission: to remove the barriers between people and the services and support that matter most. We are policy experts and technologists, determined leaders and compassionate innovators, united by our desire to do whatever it takes to solve complex problems in access to health and social services. We create technology solutions that put people first.
The purpose of the Strategy & Impact Data Team is to transform Alluma into a data-informed organization. The Data Team, commissioned by the CEO Robert Phillips, seeks to empower use of data to transform the way Alluma works, how we serve our clients, and how we are positioned in the market.
The Lead Data Engineer role will support our growing data needs across the organization. The position will be responsible for leading analysis and data engineering projects, ad hoc data analysis projects for internal and external clients, leading stakeholder engagement on internal projects and developing and delivering trainings. This role will get to shape a data practice and help drive Alluma’s data-informed culture.
We operate on open source principles: you should know how to communicate, collaborate, and think about our work as a collective effort and we value racial and social equity in public and internal systems.
Skills and responsibilities
- Manage and enhance our Snowflake data warehouse and Airflow data pipelines.
- Coordinate multiple data engineering and infrastructure initiatives within the Data Program.
- Collaborate with leaders of functional areas to identify opportunities to operate more efficiently and effectively and to use data to spark change.
- Gain alignment on new approaches and work closely with our key business stakeholders and technology partners to define requirements, plan and deploy new capabilities from dashboards to data processes.
- Lead the adoption of modern data models and architecture for the organization’s applications and operations.
- Analyze data using SQL, Excel and Tableau/Superset to support decision making and develop reporting dashboards to monitor performance against goals.
- Lead the planning and development of a data catalog to serve the organization’s data users
- Evangelize the use of OKRs and metrics across the organization.
- Conduct trainings on data concepts and specific tools.
- Be part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Be part of a team championing a data-informed culture
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
Oakland,CAOakland office, remote friendly
- This job is remote friendly.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience in data analytics/engineering and leading projects.
- Familiarity with analytical and quantitative methods a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to deliver quantitative and qualitative data in a compelling way, and the ability to quickly research, synthesize and summarize key lessons.
- Ability to constructively express contrary points of view and seek consensus among strong, independent thinkers.
- Proficient with Excel (Pivot Tables, Lookup functions), Tableau/Superset and SQL.
- An appetite to evaluate and learn new tools and apply them to problems.
- Strong understanding of HIPAA, data privacy and ethics.
- Passion for making a difference in the social sector.
- Comfort with ambiguity, ability to take a vague problem and drive material results.
- Exceptional communication skills and desire to share your knowledge with clarity, patience, and empathy.
- The ability to work independently and set your own priorities with careful attention to detail and deadlines.
Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. /B.S.) in Computer Science, Social Sciences, Public Health or equivalent experience in a related field or equivalent training/experience required, Master’s Degree a bonus.