The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $4.3 billion, with 7,000 employees all serving over a million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through technology infrastructure, business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the City Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
We promote work-life integration with a focus on growth to bring out the best in our team members. Come join us in making San Jose the most vibrant, equitable, sustainable, and innovative city in America!
The Information Technology Department is currently recruiting for a Business Process Analyst within the Enterprise Business Solutions Team. This position will play an important role in enabling digital transformation and automation of most, if not all, of the City’s administrative processes, which are currently manual and paper-based.
Skills and responsibilities
Key duties include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the City’s Business Process Automation efforts.
- Developing deep expertise of the City’s internal and client-facing productivity, collaboration, and business process automation technologies and documenting complex software functionality.
- Assessing the business impact of technology changes and navigating those impacts with business leaders and technology team members.
- Participating in product discovery phase by helping Products-Projects Managers gather, define, and refine requirements through sessions with end-users, subject-matter experts, and product owners.
- Leading requirement gathering and/or meetings and managing stakeholder expectations.
- Assisting Product Owners in documenting business requirements and functional product specifications and developing “As Is” and “To Be” business process flows for our internal and/or external facing Business Solutions.
- Providing impact analyses related to business requirements that could impact multiple departments.
- Preparing user testing scripts and considering comprehensive scenarios for effective end-to-end testing.
- Providing first line user support with analysis, issue resolution and recommendation.
- Participating and providing inputs into SCRUMs with Agile software development and business teams to contribute to building the right solution.
- Participating in product release cycles as the product expert, including user acceptance testing sessions, to help surface any issues prior to a release.
- Leading the efforts to develop training and/or user education materials and strategies.
- Assisting in managing scope, issues, and customer expectations for assigned projects.
- Assisting with business automation production support as required.
$99,008.00-$120,390.00yearly, The actual salary shall be determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Senior Systems Applications Programmer (SSAP) classifications shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation pay.
- Deadline: n/a
Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Information Management Systems or a closely related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of increasingly progressive experience in computer systems applications programming.
Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of directly related work experience may be substituted for up to a maximum of two years of the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent, or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of following knowledge and experience:
- 2+ more years of experience with gathering information system requirements, technical analysis, and end user training techniques is highly desirable.
- Experience in approaches to business process reengineering through business process automation.
- Experience with "As Is" and "To Be" information and business process modeling.
- Knowledge of project methodologies (Waterfall, Agile) is desirable.
- Ability to communicate functional business requirements to technical developers.
- Ability in business process modeling, gap analysis, and converting concepts into effective design.
Conflict Management – Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people, by presenting the facts, analysis, and conclusions or solutions that show command of content and perspectives and interests of the audience.
Multi-tasking – Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Change Management – Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.