Who we are:
NextRequest makes public records requests friendlier for the public and easier for governments. We are motivated by civic transparency and government ingenuity. Our mission is to revolutionize records requests through technology, trust, and community.
Over the past 6 years, our team has built an amazing product that allows governments to be both more transparent and efficient while serving their communities. NextRequest works with nearly 200 customers across the U.S. ranging from the largest cities to small towns, police departments, counties, state agencies, educational institutions, and special districts. The agencies of all types and sizes use NextRequest to accept, coordinate, and fulfill record requests all in one place. The company's public records software works cross-departmentally to streamline requests so that no request goes unanswered. NextRequest protects the flow of agency’s sensitive information with best-in-class security, compliance, and data protection for its customers including mapping to CJIS & HIPAA Security Rule controls and a SOC 2 security audit.
Why join us:
- Mission-driven work that has a tangible positive impact
- Three weeks of PTO plus federal holidays
- Health care (medical, dental, and vision) benefits for you and your dependents
- Equity in the company
- A stipend and PTO to attend professional development events
- Flexible work hours (upon mutual agreement) that allow you to schedule around personal commitments
- Opportunities to socialize with your colleagues that don’t center on alcohol (team-activities, game nights, etc); if a company event is outside of normal work hours, we’ll cover childcare costs
- An ergonomic and home office stipend
- A workplace that values communication, mutual respect, and work-life balance
We are committed to a workplace that reflects our community. We especially encourage applicants who are underrepresented in the tech industry, including women, people of color, and LGBTQIA candidates.
NextRequest is growing! We're looking for someone who can help us continue to build a more efficient and transparent public records process. Every day we work to create an application that is fast, intuitive, and a delight to use. We believe that writing clean, efficient, and well-tested code is critical to creating a great experience for our customers. If you are excited about building tools to make government information accessible and meaningful, this is the job for you.Your day-to-day work will be focused on writing code, releasing features, collaborating with other team members, and making architecture decisions. You will be a key part of implementing product designs and ensuring that we deliver high-quality code. As we continue to grow you will have the opportunity to branch out into front-end, DevOps, and machine learning.
Skills and responsibilities
What you will do:
- Track down and fix bugs
- Design portions of the application architecture
- Lead projects focused on major feature development
- Own development of specific features from conception to implementation
- Participate in peer code review
- Ensure that code implements industry best practices
- Communicate software needs across teams
- Mentor Junior Engineers
- This job is remote friendly.
You'd be a good fit if you have:
- 5+ years of full-stack experience
- 3+ years of experience building and releasing production web applications
- Experience using test-driven development
- Experience building parallel/background processes in Rails
- Enjoy a highly collaborative environment
- Great written and verbal communication
Extra points if you have:
- Substantial experience with Ruby on Rails
- DevOps and/or AWS experience
- Previous experience with or interest in mentoring colleagues
- Deep Git knowledge
- Worked for or with local governments