Exygy is a digital innovation studio on a mission to build resilient and healthy communities. We enable impact-focused organizations to rethink experiences and create digital products that solve their problems and delight users.
Join our tight-knit and growing team to build a wide variety of high-impact projects with our civic and health sector clients.
Exygy is seeking an enthusiastic and creative Engineering Lead who is passionate about using technology to build healthy and resilient communities. We’re a small, growing team and believe that team members from a diverse set of backgrounds is a key to our strength. We value collaborators over cowboys, diversity and inclusivity, creativity over closed-mindedness, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
We’re looking for an Engineering Lead candidate who can lead and guide multidisciplinary teams on projects in ways that match our values. The ideal candidate is experienced managing people and growing technical teams. Ideally, has experience in working in collaborative Scrum teams and leading engineering best practices.
As an engineering leader, you understand the value of software patterns, software modeling, automated tests and continuous integration, code style and quality, and pair programming in the pursuit of building high-quality software. You value teaching and mentoring developers and have experience building high performing engineering teams. This position requires a candidate who can analyze business requirements, estimate engineering work, construct, test, and implement solutions with an agile team.
Skills and responsibilities
- Architect and establish software development roadmap
- Serve as a technical leader to other engineers in Scrum team setting.
- Lead standardization of engineering practices across Exygy
- Support individual engineers with troubleshooting difficult technical problems
- Contribute to the engineering recruiting and hiring process, ensuring we’re hiring for the right skills based on upcoming project needs. Vetting new team members and conducting skills reviews.
- Pair with other engineers and rotate to best serve team needs.
- Organize and facilitate daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos, and other Scrum-related practices and ceremonies
- Track and communicate team velocity and sprint/release progress. Ensure all code is tested and meets team code quality standards
- Manage Exygy’s network of remote engineering contractors and making sure contractors are supported when executing on projects.
- Scope and estimate projects, and contribute to high-level planning of project structure and timeline.
- Support Exygy leadership in the business development process, specifically fleshing out technical and estimations portions of proposals to potential clients.
San Francisco,CAPeople may work fully remote, and be asked to travel occasionally to meet with clients.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Salary: , We have a transparent levels and salaries rubric based off of an anonymous salary survey of our peers in the mission driven space.
- Deadline: n/a
- 6+ years experience on teams on large software projects, including 4+ years full-stack development with one or more web application frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, ExpressJS, ASP.NET etc. Familiarity with frontend frameworks such as React and Angular.
- Experience with deployment of web applications on Heroku, AWS, GCP and other platforms
- Strong experience with and enjoyment of developing software on agile/Scrum teams. Familiar with continuous integration, test driven development, automated testing, pair programming, code review, git flow, and rapid prototyping.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with design and product teams
- Familiar with software scalability, refactoring, peer review and mentorship
- Strong leadership and technical management experience.
- Experience building and growing a high performing engineering team. Can identify and remove impediments that interfere with the ability of the engineering team members.
- Ability to keep ahead of technical trends, and contributes to the technical direction of the engineering team and company overall.