Counterpart International is seeking a full-time Senior Program Officer for a Cybersecurity & Internet Governance project focused on supporting civil society organizations, human rights activists, and independent media globally, from Counterpart’s headquarters in Arlington, VA. Under the guidance of the Project Director and the Deputy Project Director the Senior Program Officer will be responsible for collecting and sharing the most up-to-date information on threats to Information Security & Internet Governance, identifying and working with partner organizations and stakeholders working in the area of “Internet Freedom,” providing digital security & Internet Governance training and presentations to the program’s domestic and global partners, and managing events and interventions that link CSOs with technology developers working on projects that may benefit them. The ideal candidate would have experience working with civil society groups, a thorough knowledge of ICT security and media, and existing relationships with those working in the “Internet Freedom” and/or open-source development space. Applicants should have a strong technical background in information technology and a firm understanding of internet security & Internet Governance issues, including familiarity with methods of encryption for data during storage and transmission, circumvention of censorship, patch management, business continuity principles, social media security/privacy, mobile device security, and secure web hosting.
- Based in Arlington, VA, Senior Program Officer will provide assessment, guidance, training, mentoring, and support on information security issues and topics to local partners globally where needed and defined by the Project Director and the Deputy Project Director.
- Build and cultivate (existing/new) relationships with all relevant technology companies, organizations and individuals relevant to project work.
- Plan, organize and manage small and large scale events that bring together the programs technology and civil society partners and human rights groups.
- Provide information security trainings and presentations to the program’s partners domestically and globally as needed.
- Serve as the public face of the organization to technology-focused stakeholders worldwide.
- Travel up to 30% of time to any of the project activity countries to support local partners.
- In partnership with the the Project Director and the Deputy Project Director, develop annual global work plan.
- Manage the program’s technology grants and review the technical milestones to ensure complete and successful delivery.
- Oversee the social media accounts and website.
- Ensure that partners learn, internalize, use, and propagate appropriate information security practices.
- Stay-up-to-date on new technologies and emerging trends and issues related to information security.
- Participate in conferences, trainings, and other events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and responsibilities
- This job is remote friendly.
- Salary: , Our program benefits everyone who uses digital and online spaces, especially those who experience limitations to access and the basic right to free expression
- Deadline: n/a
- At least 5 -7 years’ experience in information security & Internet Governance, and safe computing practices
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required
- Familiar with both commercial and open source digital security tools
- Solid understanding of the fonctionnement of the Internet and familiarity with main stakeholders.
- Familiarity with USG and USAID procurement guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to lead a complete grants cycle, including developing RFQs, technical monitoring of the grants.
- Experience in network building and coalition development.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as experience developing solid professional relationships.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Broad training experience.
- Willingness to travel.
- Strong writing skills required (English)
- Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple activities.