At Edovo, our mission is to help everyone connected to incarceration build better lives. We’ve created a secure digital platform to expand education behind bars, reduce recidivism and to support the vocational, rehabilitation and communication needs of the 2.2 million people in jails and prisons. Users have access to thousands of hours of self-guided learning materials. Upon release, our learners have the option to continue their progress on the outside. Edovo offers courses in subjects ranging from basic literacy and GED to career exploration and cognitive behavioral therapy. We’re also building tools to keep people in touch with jobs, social services, friends, and family. Our team is committed to supporting opportunities for justice-involved people.
Don’t take it just from us. Awards, publications, grants, and partnerships all around the country are recognizing the momentum and impact of Edovo. A select few: Global EdTech Startup Champion in London out of 1,000+ competitors; GIIRS Platinum Rating for social impact; MacArthur Foundation Grant Award Winner; Forbes article feature; Chicago Community Trust grant award winner; Impact Engine portfolio member; SXSW Civic Tech Innovation Pitch Competition runner-up; Chicago Innovation "Up and Comer" Award winner; and so much more.
Check out a brief picture of our program from the perspective of the people who use it. Visit Edovo on Vimeo for more.
We’re a tight-knit bunch of software craftspeople with a passion for solving hard problems for the greater good. We’re involved in every step of the product development process with deep ownership from first ideas through to delivery. We’re seasoned Agile veterans who know the best teams pick from the many individual practices and tools instead of prescriptions. We’re unafraid of new technology and happily evaluate each on its merits to the organization and our team. That said, we prefer simple solutions and tried-and-true technology over immature bleeding edge tech.
We work full-stack and developers on the team own features end-to-end. We happily pull in a peer when we need a pair to get through a tough problem or just for a second pair of eyes. We carefully balance new feature development with investments in quality of life and efficiency for ourselves.
We believe that diversity of background and experience is key and work hard to build teams that reflect this.
- Lead development of one or more components of Edovo’s software ecosystem while working as part of a cross-functional team.
- Work full-stack in a rich client web application.
- Care for our systems by building automated test suites, monitoring, and alerting.
- Consider how upcoming growth will impact our systems
- Design, build, and refine our internal tooling pipeline.
Skills and responsibilities
- Working with world-class researchers to bring the benefits of cognitive behavioral therapy to the incarcerated.
- Build revolutionary communications products that help the incarcerated keep meaningful connections with their loved ones without exploitative costs and fees.
- Create administration and management tools enabling corrections officers to ensure a safe and secure environment for all parties involved.
- Scaling our systems as we grow to tens of thousands of devices and beyond.
- Salary: , Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- 3-7 years working in modern full-stack web-application development
- Experience working with systems serving tens of thousands of users concurrently
- Experience with sustainable engineering practices such as automated testing (TDD), continuous deployment, and monitoring / alerting.
- Experience with Java and the JVM
- Experience with high-availability telecommunication systems, Asterisk preferred.
- Experience with .NET and other Microsoft development technologies
- Experience with Android application development.
- Experience with real-time monitoring and alerting (Splunk)
- Extensive experience with DevOps best practices and tools (we use Ansible).