Code for America builds technology to help government services work for the people who need them most by using data-driven, user-centered, and iterative approach to building technology. We are looking for a Sr. Product Manager to lead a product for people to access the social safety net in multiple states across the country. This candidate will lead a multidisciplinary team through the development of a pilot product to demonstrate how technology can transform access to benefits and show partners and stakeholders what is possible.
By being flexible and adaptable to change, the Sr. Product Manager will know when to move or change direction and remain a clear and effective decision-maker for their team.
In understanding multiple perspectives (users, partners, leadership and funders) and seeing the bigger picture, the Sr. Product Manager will understand the use of technology and be able to find opportunities where technology can not just improve but radically transform the delivery of public services.
This role is a full-time opportunity, will work alongside the Program Director, reports to the Head of Product and is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Define, explain and iterate a product vision that is compelling to your users, team and stakeholders.
- Work in partnership with the program team to align the product vision with the program and the organization's larger objectives, vision and goals.
- Create a clear and compelling strategy for the product that the team can align around: set direction, goals, create roadmaps, and scope + prioritize experiments and features that prove impact.
- Negotiate with and influence external partners, stakeholders and customers successfully - communicating context, strategy and decisions clearly and effectively.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team to deliver several early stage products and iteratively improve them through several delivery cycles.
- Manage new feature development, from working with designers on user flows to translating designs into bite-size tickets to leading quality assurance.
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities.
- Drive a diverse and collaborative working culture which encourages openness, approachability and is supportive of challenge however uncomfortable.
- Lead processes and ways of working to ensure the team stays on task, is highly productive and team health remains strong.
- Champion a culture of continuous learning and improvement and knowledge sharing inside the team and across the organization.
- At least 5 years of product development experience with increasing responsibility, some in government or similar institutions.
- Experience leading more than one large scale product or service through to successful delivery.
- Has lead high quality product development using an agile methodology - iteratively improving products through delivery cycles.
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, user testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions.
- Strong product judgement - knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment and when to change direction.
- Ability to travel estimated at 25%.
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
About Code for America
Founded in 2011, Code for America is a startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work in cross-functional teams, collaboratively and agilely and value high-quality, user-friendly work product. We strive to learn from everything we do and regularly host talks from leaders in the civic technology movement. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a