Skylight (https://skylight.digital/) is at the forefront of a civic movement to reinvent how the government serves the public in a digital world.
We’re looking for a UX Design Researcher to join our talented team of technologists in driving this movement forward.
You’ll be a key part of our small, but rapidly growing team, which consists of former Presidential Innovation Fellows, founders of 18F, and members of the U.S. Digital Service. (It’s an exciting time to join us!)
We work in small, fast, agile teams to create exceptional customer experiences and enduring solutions out of the government’s most complex design and technology challenges. The work is challenging, but highly rewarding: millions of people — from veterans to immigrants — depend on these critical government services every day.
Your initial challenge will be to help advance the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA’s) mission of providing benefits and services to our nation’s service members, Veterans, and their dependents and survivors. The VA operates the nation’s largest healthcare system, called the Veterans Healthcare Administration (VHA). The VHA consists of 150 medical centers and nearly 1,400 community-based outpatient clinics, community living centers, Vet Centers, and Domiciliary. Together these healthcare facilities, and the more than 53,000 licensed healthcare practitioners, provide comprehensive care to more than 8.3 million Veterans each year. You’ll work collaboratively with the VHA to deliver a user-centered digital platform that empowers these practitioners and other employees to identify and disseminate promising clinical and administrative practices.
What you’ll do:
- Find good user research participants
- Apply a mix of quantitative and qualitative user research techniques (for example, user interviews and contextual inquiry) to gain greater empathy for the needs of users
- Clearly communicate research findings with internal and external collaborators
- Translate research findings into design hypotheses
- Employ usability testing to validate those hypotheses
- Guide the direction of the product and continually advocate for users
- Represent Skylight's culture of delivery when interacting with government stakeholders (such as the U.S. Digital Service) and other contractors
What we’re looking for:
- Demonstrated experience working as a design researcher on product teams
- A good grasp on the tools of the trade, and the ability to be nimble and resourceful if constraints arise
- Ability to communicate the purpose and need for user-centered methods with diverse audiences
- Experience working in an agile team format
- A mindset and work approach that aligns with our core values (https://skylight.digital/culture/)
- Able to travel from time to time to support on-site client meetings
We focus on supporting you in a variety of ways:
- Highly competitive salary
- Profit-sharing and bonus opportunities
- Company-subsidized health and dental insurance
- 401k plan
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- Time to focus on activities such as learning & development, open-source projects, and community outreach
- An environment that empowers you to unleash your superpowers for public good
- Potential for relocation assistance if willing to move to a HUBZone area (https://maps.certify.sba.gov/hubzone/map). (Read more about us being a HUBZone: https://skylight.digital/about/#hubzone.)
- Remote-friendly work environment
- This job is remote friendly.