We design and build services for Austin's residents that grow and adapt with their needs
We launched our Office of Design & Delivery in May 2018 to scale our capacity for designing and delivering the best possible services for our residents.
Our culture is our strongest asset. We believe that work should be fun, that learning is ongoing, and that everyone has something to teach. We ask for help, default to action, and balance short-term wins with long-term outcomes. We have strong opinions, loosely held, and we’re open by default.
Our team is working to improve a wide range of city services, which have included researching and redesigning our permitting processes (repo), prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of CTXFloods(repo), and creating city-wide standards for interface design, web infrastructure, and automated testing with Austin.gov (repo).
What will you do?
- Contribute to Open Source Software projects using Github for collaboration and code review. For a flavor of our current stack, we maintain projects that use:
- Work with other developers on Office of Design & Delivery to establish new standards and practices for web development based on modern languages, frameworks, and best practices
- Serve as a core contributor on multi-disciplinary project teams to improve city services
- Assist in scoping and prototyping activities for future design and development projects
- Work with stakeholders to assess legacy systems and identify opportunities for improved performance and the sustainability of future systems
- Be visible to staff and stakeholders and regularly undertake activities to engage and build trust with people involved in area of work
- Engage with the wider web development community, identifying best practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences
- Assist in recruiting, screening, and interview processes for hiring.
- Write blog posts that share what we make and how we make it
- Serve as a subject matter expert in the hiring process for additional Design, Technology, and Innovation Fellows
Skills and responsibilities
What are we looking for?
- 3-5+ years of professional experience designing large-scale services
- Experience with modern server frameworks like Python/Django or Node.js, and query languages like SQL & GraphQL to build microservices to support API-driven interfaces.
- Ability to engage with a wide range of digital specialists, subject-matter experts, stakeholders, and the public to determine the best approaches to a problem
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Deadline: n/a
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.