The Office of the Nassau County Comptroller is seeking a full-time Policy and Data Analyst who will work with our team on policy, data and operations analysis, and report writing. Applicants should have a background in public policy, financial, economic, and research analysis and the ability to interpret data to produce written reports and compelling visualizations. We are seeking intellectually curious, proactive, and innovative applicants who can conceptualize recommendations to solve complex problems within county government and work in a fast-paced environment.
Skills and responsibilities
The Policy and Data Analyst will assist with numerous projects, including:
· Utilize various accounting & IT systems to extract raw data, analyze information, and build key reports, with supporting information;
· Assisting with developing methodologies to measure and report on financial and operational performance;
· Conduct data analysis to generate financial and operational efficiencies, improve service deliveries;
· Preparing fact sheets, reports, white papers, presentations, infographics, and other work product to summarize key information for County departments and stakeholders;
· Assisting with policy research, reports, and projects as needed;
· Performing related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, with an ability to digest complex information and synthesize information from multiple sources;
· Strong written communication skills, including ability to explain complex, technical subject matter to a general audience;
· Ability to design compelling graphics and reports to present key findings and information;
· Knowledge of data analysis techniques with an understanding of basic statistical concepts;
· Experience managing, cleaning, and analyzing large datasets a plus;
· Strong teamwork skills, and the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, economics, finance, data science, statistics, or a related field of study;
· At least one year of professional experience in a role involving policy and data analysis, report writing, data management and/or collection, or performance management/ financial analysis.