The City of San José is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San José manages a large array of technology services and assets. The City operates a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
Come join us realize the San José Smart City Vision!
This is an exciting time in IT as we re-imagine and build strategic capabilities to meet San Jose’s Smart City Vision.
The Information Technology Department is searching for an Internet-of-Things (IoT) Devices and Communications Engineer position within the IT Infrastructure and Operations Division. This position is a temporary, benefitted position, with a standard 40 hours per week with an end date of June 30, 2019, unless extended or made permanent. The ideal candidate must possess strong technical skills in supporting an enterprise-level, multi-vendor, and highly-distributed network of sensor and control devices. Effective project management skills and the ability to perform technical design and performance analysis are essential for this position.
The IoT Devices and Communications Engineer is responsible for implementing, administering, and maintaining sensor-driven solutions for the City. This includes overall design, device installation, security, updates, data flows, and automation, as well as supporting platform use by assigned customers. The Engineer will manage and tune performance to ensure optimal, reliable performance and use of the sensor solutions deployed for assigned customer groups.
On a daily basis, the Engineer must be able to manage a dynamic mix of operational tasks and project assignments; design and implement solutions that perform and that require nominal maintenance; manage the lifecycles of the products and solutions they administer; and work well with teammates across a large and diverse city.
If you are passionate about leading teams, driving IT efforts to success and excellence, and delight in creating superior customer experiences, then come and join us!
Skills and responsibilities
- Perform a variety of engineering activities ranging from systems design, to implementation, to integration, including, hardware, software, budgeting, and support.
- Leverage networking skills and experience to perform a “hybrid” engineering work spanning telecommunications, device, data, and related IoT technologies.
- Work with domain experts and project team members to set IoT solution objectives and designs, ensuring projects meet both client and technical demands.
- Design, develop, and prototype IoT solutions. Use appropriate sensor technologies, gateways, cloud-based IoT platforms, middleware components, data management, architectures, and standards.
- Perform hands-on device management, controls settings, and maintenance.
- Deploy networked devices and platforms securely and without negative impact on the Municipal Area Network.
- Deadline: n/a
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS, or a closely related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience equivalent to performing technical work of a complex difficulty to provide desktop, data security, system administration, server or network support to end users.
Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the education requirement.
Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a current (non-expired) Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) Windows Server 2008/2012 certification or an equivalent professional, industry recognized certification. Examples of equivalent certifications include but are not limited to: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Ability to implement, administer, and maintain sensor-driven devices and solutions.
- In-depth knowledge of IoT providers and landscape to procure, design, build, and implement IoT solutions for effective City use. Solutions experience should span a mix of sensors, wireless protocols, gateways, cloud-based IoT platforms, services, integrations, processes, and tools.
- Knowledge of various IoT platforms such as Microsoft Azure IoT suite, AWS IoT platform, IBM Bluemix, Google Cloud IoT Core, etc.
- Working knowledge of various wireless technologies such as cellular, radio frequency, wireless protocol, IoT gateway, cloud infrastructure, Internet network connectivity protocol, etc.
- Working knowledge of network communications, networked devices, and operating systems, and data management platforms.
- Ability to communicate across non-technical and technical audiences.
- Experience in continuously improving IoT solutions, educating stakeholders, documenting builds, and training users.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.