The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
Come join us realize San Jose’s Smart City Vision!
This is an exciting time in IT as we re-imagine and build strategic capabilities to meet San Jose’s Smart City Vision.
The Information Technology Department is looking to fill one (1) position within the Portfolio-Products-Projects Office. The Products-Projects Manager works with customer departments to lead IT initiatives to successful implementation, as well as through the product lifecycle. They coach best practices and help shape standards used by the Portfolio-Products-Projects Management Office to improve the organization’s ability to evolve through technology.
If you are passionate about leading teams, driving IT efforts to success and excellence, and delight in creating superior customer experiences, then come and join us!
Note: This is a one-year term-limited position. Pending the City’s annual budget process, the position may be extended, converted to permanent, or allowed to expire.
Skills and responsibilities
- Manages multiple technology projects of significant complexity.
- Defines and maintains product roadmaps and strategies; feature set priorities; and release schedules with Product Owners and stakeholders for an assigned portfolio.
- Establishes commitments and outcome goals via project chartering.
- Maintains and develops all required project reporting, e.g. – Weekly status reports, updating the relevant PM tools, etc.
- Leads diverse, cross-functional project teams from across City departments, internal IT resources, and vendor partners.
- Develops business cases, project charters, functional and technical requirement specifications, procurements and assist in the production of City Manager's Reports.
$106,000.00-$130,000.00yearly, Effective July 1, 2018, employees in this classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation increase in addition to the compensation listed.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
- Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
- Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated from past and current employment history.
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional and technical principles and practices; Citywide and departmental procedures/policies; and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Manages all project work plans. Updates schedules and reports progress per project and release plans.
- Adheres to, supports, and contributes to development and enhancement of internal City Project Management standards and processes.
- Ensures execution and delivery of large projects within plans and budget.
- Interfaces effectively with IT and Department stakeholders and resources.
- Accelerates procurement and assists in negotiating contracts with consultants/vendors within City processes and rules.
- Identifies and communicates risks effectively. Develops and executes effective mitigation plans.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience:
- Proficient in the principles, techniques, and best practices of technical project management, e.g., work-breakdown structures, critical path management, project performance measures.
- Agile/SCRUM experience is highly desirable.
- Project Management Certifications, e.g., PMI PMP; PMI PgMP are highly desirable.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Customer Service – Demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently using professional demeanor.
Political Skill – In taking action, demonstrates an understanding and consideration of how it will impact stakeholders and affected areas in the organization.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.