The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
Come join us realize San Jose’s Smart City Vision!
The City of San Jose is recruiting for a full-time PeopleSoft Technical Lead (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department. As a technical lead, this position will be responsible for overseeing and managing technical support and application development for Oracle PeopleSoft 9.2 Human Capital Management (HCM) Payroll, Time and Labor, and Absence Management modules.
This position requires strong technical hands-on experience and leadership skills as well as the ability to take initiative and direct others. We are seeking an individual with a willingness to adapt to an ever changing business.
The ideal candidate should have experience supporting enterprise-level production time and labor (T&L) and payroll including both solid functional and in-depth technical knowledge of the T&L and payroll processes. This position demands a proven ability to resolve complex technical issues in a timely manner. A team leader, team player, and positive attitude are essential to this position.
Skills and responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership for the City’s Oracle PeopleSoft HCM application. Specifically, with the Payroll for North America, Time and Labor, and Absence Management modules, as well as the City’s custom labor distribution process.
- Communicate with stakeholders to gather functional requirements, and produce technical specifications and documentation.
- support, modify, test customized programs related to City’s payroll, T&L, and absence management requirements.
- Perform hands-on system configuration and advanced troubleshooting for supported PeopleSoft modules.
- Lead and participate in testing efforts with functional staff for Peoplesoft Update Manager (PUM) applications and custom programs.
- Learn existing City business practices and their related customizations.
- Develop technical guidelines, and governance framework to ensure best practices.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to functional analysts.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices including Enterprise Architecture, technical project management, application lifecycle management, and applicable industry applications/systems platform tools. Breadth of expertise to enable managing major technology services, programs, and products across multiple departmental technology environments and ensuring cross coordination between departments, including adherence with Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience
- Current technical hands-on experience in designing, configuring, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting in PeopleSoft tools such as:
- SQR, SQL
- Application Designer
- Application Engine
- Integration Broker
- BI Publisher
- Component Interface
- Query Manager
- Experience with the following PeopleSoft Payroll and Time and Labor functions:
- General Time and Labor setup
- Time and Labor rules
- Time Administration
- General Payroll setup
- Load time and labor
- Payroll COBOL processes such as pay calculation and pay confirmation
- FLSA Overtime
- Labor distribution
- Payroll interfaces
- Absence Management
- Year-end and W-2 processing
- Experience creating and updating technical documentation.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
Teamwork & Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.