Learn More About Our Work
As part of the Technology Team, the Software Engineer develops new applications and maintains citywide, enterprise products. The team leverages existing City technology assets and systems, and also works in an agile, iterative way to build new digital services, collaborating closely with the Design and Data teams.
Skills and responsibilities
- Work as part of our development team to build and support internal and external facing web applications.
- Involved in every phase of application development from planning, development, deployment to monitoring.
- Investigate and resolve complex and multi-faceted issues, spanning the entire technology stack, which require working across teams and technology boundaries.
- Build tools and automation to manage, standardize and accelerate processes.
- Work with Project and Product Managers to determine timelines and project tasks.
- Communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, regarding issues and/or requirements, and be able to produce technical documentation.
- Communicate project statuses to senior staff, executive management and stakeholders including preparing senior level technical reports for executive management.
- Manage special IT projects as assigned.
- Expert experience with scripting and passionate about automation.
- Experience with J2EE WebLogic environment is a plus
- Managed large-scale, high-traffic highly-available web environment.
- Strong Linux fundamentals (Red Hat/CentOS/Ubuntu).
- Experience of working with Azure, Amazon AWS, Rackspace, or other leading cloud provider.
- Experience using any Issue & Project tracking and test management tools including JIRA and Zephyr.
- Experience with agile and SDLC processes.
- Passion to learn new technology and creatively solve challenging problems.
- Commitment to the mission of advancing greater equality and opportunity.