JustFix.nyc is seeking an experienced product manager to join us on our mission to build technology that serves low-income New Yorkers. We are building an open-source platform that allows tenants to build legal cases, connect with community advocates, and target the city’s worst slumlords. Compensation is competitive and will include salary and full health/vision/dental insurance. Our dog-friendly (and people-friendly!) office is based in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
At JustFix.nyc, we have spent the past two years building technology for housing justice. Our webapp for tenants with repair issues has been used by thousands of families across the city to document their situations and build strong legal cases. Our advocate dashboard, in use by over 40 community organizations and legal services, connects those in need with advocacy and community organizing services anywhere in the City. We’re currently working with Open Data to develop groundbreaking new ways to identify patterns of displacement and target some of the city’s worst slumlords.
Read more about us:
You will be our first dedicated product manager with a unique opportunity to take a leadership stake at a critical time as we scale our services, begin to integrate with official NYC technologies, and plan for expansion to other cities around the country.
As an open source product manager you’ll use a diverse set of engineering, UX, and business skills to create mission-driven products. You’re action oriented and are able to guide and support an engineering and design team of 2 - 5 people in a very fast-paced environment, yet can step back and see how an individual project or goal fits into our larger mission. You take immense pride and responsibility in your work and aren’t afraid to stand up for what you think is right.
Great product managers use design thinking to deeply understand user needs, craft narratives, and lead a team in solving these needs with delightful products or features. They balance the need for an ambitious roadmap with the need for a healthy, reliable release cycle. To do this well you must operate at intersection between new ideas, technical possibility, user needs, and organizational priorities. Taking information from those reference points, you must iteratively design product narratives and product requirements documents while also steering release cycles and communicating with stakeholders.
Candidates for this position should have a strong understanding of the unique factors that arise in open source work. Proven experience with open source software teams is highly preferred.
Skills and responsibilities
- Guide and support an engineering and design team of 2 - 5 people in a very fast-paced environment
- Work closely with Engineering teams to determine the best technical implementation methods and conduct short and long term technical scoping and planning for ongoing projects
- Own responsibility for shipping product to users and managing release cycles
- Inspire and facilitate meaningful contributions from open source communities
- Oversee the completion of product milestones for ongoing projects
Brooklyn,NYOur dog-friendly (and people-friendly!) office is based in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.
- Salary: , Compensation is competitive and will include salary and full health/vision/dental insurance.
- Deadline: n/a
- 3+ years of product management experience, using lean or agile models and managing both design and development teams. Bring a perspective on strong systems and processes to our product development cycles.
- Demonstrated expertise working with teams of engineers on time-sensitive projects
- Analytical and data-driven approach and experience with Google Analytics, Heap, Mixpanel, Rollbar and other web analytics tools.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills - we are a small team that works together closely. You should be self-starting and motivated to build things on your own.
- Local to NYC and driven toward our mission / desire to build something that makes an impact.
- Open source contributions, or deep understanding of open source values and goals. Check out our github.
- Experience with building in a startup environment (either an actual startup, or an entrepreneurial situation within a larger organization)
- Something in your personal story that draws you to what we're building
- Interest in civic technology
Please email your resume and a short paragraph describing why you are interested in the role to email@example.com.