Enigma is a rapidly growing enterprise technology company based in the Flatiron neighborhood of New York City. We are Series B funded, partnering with some of the best investors in the world: New Enterprise Associates, Two Sigma Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Crosslink Capital, American Express Ventures, and others. Founded in 2012, Enigma was started based on the realization that there was tremendous potential in using public data to understand how the world works, but that it was untapped because the data is highly fragmented and disconnected. Enigma set out to change that by building and organizing one of the largest collections of public data in the world, and our big coming out party was winning TechCrunch Disrupts Battlefield in 2013. Our vision has remained steadfast, we want to empower people to interpret, and improve, the world around them. However, we have expanded our ability to realize this vision by combining our massive public data repository with an ecosystem of software and tools designed to link, resolve, enhance and apply data to help global-scale companies take on some of their hardest problems, ranging from preventing money laundering to ensuring patient safety. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
This technical team lead, along with the team that will subsequently assemble around him or her, will ingest, transform, enrich and lay the groundwork to connect data from all over the world, employing cutting edge technology to handle volume and velocity across our highly diverse public datasets. The team will work closely with the New York office as they ingest thousands of datasets in varying formats, analyzing and normalizing before using them to create data ontologies, knowledge graphs and models that allow users to solve complex problems.
As the Director, Data Acquisition & Strategy at Enigma, you will drive the strategy and growth of one of the world’s largest collections of public data, the underpinning of our core value proposition as a high growth technology company headquartered in NYC. By identifying, ingesting, and cleansing data that powers software solutions for the world’s preeminent companies and organizations, you will help solve critical real-world problems through data - from preventing financial crimes to saving lives. We have curated nearly 100,000 powerful datasets which now require an ambitious director with a vision to oversee, and, more importantly, expand the asset’s breadth, quality and reliability. This collection of data underscores our mission to empower people to interpret and improve the world around them. As such, we make our data publicly available for data journalism, general exploration, and targeted non-commercial and commercial research. Our user-base is vast and diverse but they all employ our datasets to enlighten and discover new, impactful truths around them.
Enigma is looking for a dynamic leader who is entrepreneurially minded and passionate about data. This role is particularly unique as this person will establish our foothold for our first expansion office outside of NYC, and will play the leading role in building out a team focused on growing our data assets. Enigma’s second office will develop around this leader, enabling this person to assemble a team of dedicated data experts, lay the groundwork for a culture of delivery, design and execute a roadmap to grow our most valuable asset, and align himself or herself with the company’s most senior stakeholders to meet major business growth milestones.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Leadership qualities of hustle, curiosity and generosity
- Operational qualities of always be shipping, customer obsession, high standards and experimentation are a must
- A passion for building and leading by example, taking a hands-on approach while considering the bigger picture
- Experience developing and cultivating a new operation from inception, including but not limited to people attainment and retention, culture growth, mentorship, team roadmap design, etc
- 5+ years experience managing engineering teams, with a demonstrated ability to mentor junior engineers
- Generalist Python engineer w/ 5+ years experience
- Engagement with local data and technology community
- Extensive experience building ETL pipelines (Airflow, Luigi, etc.) and / or writing one-off data ingestion scripts
- Familiarity with common data problems and how to solve them (e.g. web scraping, unicode issues, transposed data)
- An obsessive personality with librarian-like approach to organization
- Product sensibility and the ability to be firm in prioritizing the needs of many users
- Bonus points for experience with: AWS, Docker, Spark, Airflow, Pandas
- Strong communication and relationship building skills
- Top-notch motivational skills and ability to align teams towards company vision and goals
- Comfortable using the right tool for the job, rather than a sticky preference for a tool or technology
- Motivated by working on challenging problems with smart people
- Enjoy learning and sharing valuable feedback across our engineering teams, so we can continue to iterate and improve
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and take pride in being a problem solver
- Previously shipped production software that has actually been used by people