Code for America is on a mission to reimagine and redesign how every eligible person in America accesses and interacts with the social safety net. This multi-state effort is already underway in 4 states. To deliver this mission, we are hiring a Lead Product Manager to manage the product design and development digital experience across these pilot states.
The Lead Product Manager will lead a multidisciplinary team through the development of a series of live product pilots that demonstrate how technology can transform access to social safety-net services nationally.
The role will set the strategy and direction for product development working closely with the Senior Program Director for Integrated Benefits. The Lead Product Manager will lead the direction and implementation of each product being piloted locally, lead the teams to successfully realize the strategy, and show partners and stakeholders what is possible.
This role is full time based in San Francisco and reports to the Head of Product.
We are looking for a Lead Product Manager who will continually seek out opportunities for innovation, have the courage to take calculated risks, challenge assumptions and take bold steps to realize the ambitions of the program.
The right candidate will be an expert at understanding multiple perspectives (users, partners, leadership and funders) and seeing the bigger picture. They will understand the use of technology and be able to identify opportunities where technology can not just improve but radically transform the delivery of public services.
The right Lead Product Manager will be confident working on open briefs and navigating complex challenges. Experienced and adept, they can lead a product team through the fog. An exceptional communicator, the right candidate will be highly visible and credible to senior leadership as well as external partners, funders, and stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who sees delivery as the best way to demonstrate value and can drive a fast paced multidisciplinary team to implementation. They will be flexible and adaptable to change: knowing when to move or change direction and remain a clear and effective decision-maker for their team.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team to deliver several early stage products and iteratively improve them through several delivery cycles
- Work in partnership with the program team to align the product vision with the program and the organization's larger objectives, vision and goals
- Set direction, goals, create roadmaps, and scope + prioritize experiments and features to move the needle
- Manage new feature development, from working with designers on user flows to translating designs into bite-size tickets to overseeing QA
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities
- Lead processes and ways of working to ensure the team stays on task, is highly productive and team health remains strong.
- Experience leading more than one large scale product or service through to successful delivery
- At least 5 years of product development experience with increasing responsibility, some in government or equivalent institution
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology - iteratively improving products through delivery cycles
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, user testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions
- Superior product judgement - knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment and when to change direction
- Ability to travel estimated at 30%-50%
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them