San Francisco, CA.
Code for America uses the principles and practices of the digital age to improve how government serves the American public, and how the public improves government. We believe that government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government services can and should be as good as the best consumer services: simple, accessible, and easy to use. And when they are, we spend less, get better outcomes, and serve everyone with dignity and respect.
Code for America is part mission-driven non-profit, part tech startup, and deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the service of our mission.
Code for America is hiring a Chief Financial Officer to help us scale and multiply the impact of our work. Reporting directly to the Executive Director/Founder, the CFO serves as an active member of the Executive Management Team. The CFO will have overall managerial responsibility for Code for America’s accounting, finance, contract management, legal and facilities. Our ideal candidate will also have experience managing Human Resources.
This role is based in San Francisco and reports to the Executive Director.
- Actively manage the day to day accounting and financial operations of the organization, leading a small team
- Provide programmatic support and guide organizational strategy by developing budgets and analysis for the organization as a whole as well as individual programs; work closely with development staff to provide timely and accurate project budgets and reporting as needed by funders
- Develop organizational reporting cadences for different audiences including the Board of Directors. Prepare, analyze and present financial reports for the organization, its programs, and activities
- Partner with Executive Director on board reporting and board management
- Manage Contracts staff and strategic growth through government contracts. Drive organizational compliance and capabilities as earned income from government contracts grows
- Manage all other contractual matters, including vendors, funders, service providers and business development
- Oversee the organization’s banking activities and actively manage cash flow to ensure it meets organization needs
- Own accounting control systems and internal audits ensuring the accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports. Serve as the organization’s primary liaison with its independent auditor
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments and implement changes in procedures needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results.
- Manage facilities and office management.
HR Responsibilities (if applicable):
- Oversee overall Human Resources services, policies and programs for the entire company through Human Resources staff
- Design and direct company-wide organization development including: employee retention and development, organization design, and cultural development that supports the attainment of the company's goals
- Partner with executive team to formulate human resources policies and objectives for the company with regard to employee relations
- Run a strong diversity and inclusion program by acting as executive sponsor of D&I committee
- Recommend organization structure, including Board of Directors structure and bylaws
- Manage compensation, establish company salary structure, oversee payroll
- Review efficiency/effectiveness of employee benefit and retirement programs, seeking approaches to lower costs where possible and consistent with required quality levels.
- Ensure compliance with Human Resources related laws, regulations and practices.
- 5-7 years of senior management experience, preferably at a non-profit or startup with operations in excess of $15 million per year and over 60 employees.
- Must be highly ethical with a high level of integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop staff members.
- Demonstrated ability as a leader of culture, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working with a high powered Board of Directors.
- Excited by a fast-paced dynamic environment.
- Managerial experience with a non-profit organization that has gone through a single audit
- providing services under contract with the State of California and/or a Federal Agency.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Certified Public Accountant designation a plus.
- Experience with Intacct and Adaptive Insight a plus.
- Deadline: n/a