The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of technology services and assets. The City operates a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
Come join us realize the San Jose Smart City Vision!
The City of San Jose is recruiting for an Enterprise Infrastructure Technical Manager (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department. As a technical manager, this position will be responsible for overseeing infrastructure service and day to day operations.
The City of San Jose believes in the model of utilizing technology as a means for increased optimization as well as cost savings. With a significant technology refresh and upgrade in the works, there is a greater need for highly skilled technical hands-on leadership, infrastructure service oversight and technical project management.
This position requires strong technical hands-on experience and leadership skills as well as the ability to take initiative and direct others. We are seeking an individual with a willingness to adapt to an ever-changing business as well as an ever-changing technical environment.
The ideal candidate must be able to take full ownership of managing infrastructure operations, and leading projects to completion. Infrastructure operations includes identity management, on-premise and cloud infrastructure, server virtualization, system management and monitoring, etc. This position demands a proven ability to resolve complex technical issues with limited resources. A team leader, team player and positive attitude are essential to this position.
Skills and responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership for the City’s enterprise infrastructure which includes: servers, Active Directory, VPN, Federation Service, Public/Private Cloud support, enterprise storage, system management and monitor, enterprise system backups and restore, as well as Disaster Recovery of infrastructure services.
- Perform hands-on system configuration and advanced troubleshooting infrastructure issues to ensure service availability to meet service level expectations.
- Validate and manage system configuration changes to ensure successful system upgrades and configuration changes to production environment.
- Develop technical guidelines and governance framework to ensure best practices and security.
- Lead and resolve advanced infrastructure issues and service outages.
- Lead project implementation to completion.
- Coordinate communication and IT service needs with departments.
- Manage enterprise asset life cycle, including tracking, replacement, and surplus of equipment.
- Manage enterprise infrastructure maintenance and support contracts.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to engineers and technicians.
- Ensure the team is meeting and exceeding performance expectations as defined through metrics and benchmarks.
- Manage team resources, employee work plans and performance appraisals.
- Deadline: n/a
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience:
- Strong technical hands-on experience in designing, configuring, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting current technologies such as:
- Private Virtual Infrastructure (VMWare)
- Public Cloud Infrastructure (Azure, AWS, Google Platform, etc.)
- Configuration Management (SCCM)
- Identity Management (Active Directory, Federation Services)
- Windows Server OS (2008 and above)
- Microsoft Active Directory & GPO
- Enterprise Backup and Restore; Disaster Recovery
- Powershell scripting
- Ability to understand complexities of enterprise infrastructure (Windows networking, Windows 2008/2012 server clustering, storage, load balancing, etc.).
- Hands-on experience managing infrastructure administration tools (e.g. vCenter, vMotion, GPO, PowerShell, SCCM, etc.).
- Experience working in a converged or hyper-converged environment with software define network (SDN) enabled.
- Experience in building and deploying consistent Windows server OS.
- Experience managing, configuring, deploying and troubleshooting in a hybrid environment with multiple versions of server OS (2008, 2012, etc.)
- Experience managing Windows security patches (WSUS) and Antivirus servers (TrendMicro).
- Experience in creating and applying Microsoft Windows Active Directory GPOs.
- Provides direction in reviewing and analyzing system logs, identifying system issues, applying remediation, and performing system preventative maintenance.
- Experience in managing performance monitoring tools such as SolarWinds, Sumo Logic, Splunk, etc.
- Experience in leading Incident Response and Change Management.
- Ability in scripting and automation (Powershell).
- Experience creating and updating technical documentation.
- Understand infrastructure operations and security best practices
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Team Work and Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, both orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Supervision – Sets effective short and long-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.View application