Code for America Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people in the digital age. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. We believe design is key to solving some of the toughest social challenges. Designers at Code for America are working on products and services that include helping families in need access food assistance, reducing incarceration, and redesigning the workforce system. We are a hiring a Design Manager with broad industry experience and a passion for using design to tackle social challenges to manage our growing team of designers.
This role is based in San Francisco and reports to the Head of Product.
- Manage a dynamic and creative team of product designers, service designers, UX and design researchers. - Strengthen the culture of design across the organization.
- Support the design team to deliver outstanding work
- Champion the use of design with other disciplines: engineering, product and program.
- Manage individual designers to expand their expertise and deepen their impact.
- Work to ensure designers are placed in the right role for their skills and development.
- Contribute to the organization’s credibility and thought leadership in design.
- Build connections with design teams working across government and other industries.
- Manage client relationships, negotiating design decisions successfully
- Expert at multiplying the effectiveness of others by mentoring, teaching, listening and facilitating.
- A natural community organizer you are committed to building strong culture.
- Confident design leader, able to represent the discipline to senior leadership and external stakeholders.
- Strong skills across a broad range of design roles.
- Passionate about user centered design (Engineers, Product leads, policy makers.)
- Able to work at pace in an agile environment
- Excellent visual communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to communicate purpose and direction with clarity and enthusiasm.
- Design degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6 years experience working in a design role
- Proven experience working on multiple large scale products or services and delivered them successfully
- Experience across a broad range of roles in the design industry
- Experience working on digital products in a fast paced agile environment
- Proven experience in design leadership
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them