We are entering a six to nine month planning process to gather research that will become the initial components of a new approach to workforce development service delivery. Through pilots that demonstrate how the workforce system could operate, and sharing the learnings across the country, we seek to not only directly serve people better, but to also change the landscape of how states buy the technology meant to help people find jobs. The workforce technology vendor ecosystem is ripe for disruption; showing what's possible is an important step to changing the status quo. To deliver this mission, we are hiring a Product Manager to manage the product design and development digital experience.
The Senior Product Manager will lead a multidisciplinary team through the development of a series of provocative products that demonstrate how technology can transform workforce development and show partners and stakeholders what is possible.
This role reports to the Head of Product and is based in San Francisco.
We are looking for a Product Manager who will continually seek out opportunities for innovation, have the courage to take calculated risks, challenge assumptions and take bold steps to realize the ambitions of the program.
The right candidate will be an expert at understanding multiple perspectives (users, partners, leadership and funders) and seeing the bigger picture. They will understand the use of technology and be able to identify opportunities where technology can not just improve but radically transform the delivery of public services.
The right candidate will be confident working on open briefs and navigating complex challenges. Experienced and adept, they can lead a team through the fog. An exceptional communicator, the right candidate will be highly visible and credible to senior leadership as well as external partners, funders and stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who sees delivery as the best way to demonstrate value and can drive a fast paced multidisciplinary team to implementation. They will be flexible and adaptable to change: knowing when to move or change direction and remain a clear and effective decision-maker for their team.
- Define, explain and iterate a product vision that is compelling to your users, team and stakeholders
- Work in partnership with the program team to align the product vision with the program and the organization's larger objectives, vision and goals
- Negotiate with and influence external partners, stakeholders and customers successfully - communicating context, strategy and decisions clearly and effectively.
- Create a clear and compelling strategy for the product that the team can align around: set direction, goals, create roadmaps, and scope + prioritize experiments and features that prove impact
- Lead a multidisciplinary team to deliver several early stage products and iteratively improve them through several delivery cycles
- Manage new feature development, from working with designers on user flows to translating designs into bite-size tickets to overseeing quality assurance.
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilising the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities
- Drive a diverse and collaborative working culture which encourages openness, approachability and is supportive of challenge however uncomfortable
- Lead processes and ways of working to ensure the team stays on task, is highly productive and team health remains strong.
- Champion a culture of continuous learning and improvement and knowledge sharing inside the team and across the organization
- Experience leading more than one large scale product or service through to successful delivery
- At least 5 years of product development experience with increasing responsibility, some in government or similar institutions
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology - iteratively improving products through delivery cycles
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, user testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions
- Strong product judgement - knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment and when to change direction
- Ability to travel estimated at 25%
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them
- Deadline: n/a