Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use.
We see design as key to tackling some of the toughest social challenges. Designers at Code for America are working on products and services that including helping families in need access food assistance, reducing incarceration, and redesigning the workforce system.
We are looking for an outstanding Designer to work across some of Code for America’s most important services. Your work will demonstrate exemplary ways in which design and technology can make government services better for people who need them.
This position is full time based in our office in San Francisco and reports to our Head of Product.
- Find new ways to solve large and complex problems and prototype, iterate and refine design solutions.
- Work directly with end users you can capture and communicate the challenges they face with the existing service and identify opportunities for change.
- Prototype alongside end users in short, iterative feedback cycles, you can refine concepts through to final design solutions.
- Set creative and strategic direction for all interactions including the service design, product design and user experience that are required to make the solution work.
- Design high quality digital service interactions and work with engineers to implement them.
- Develop and deliver documentation and presentations that communicate strategy, progress and solutions for external stakeholders as well as the rest of the team.
- Contribute to the community of design across the organization: sharing experience, expertise and best practice.
- A creative thinker with outstanding problem solving ability.
- Innovative and ambitious you challenge existing assumptions and see past limitations
- Inspire problem solving with the best of new design and technology
- Empathetic, curious and driven by user needs
- Collaborative and open you know large problems aren’t solved by designers alone
- Skilled communicator with stakeholders and external audiences
- Excellent visual communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Design degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6 years experience working in product design, service design or UX.
- Proven experience delivering multiple large scale products or services successfully
- Experience collaborating with others as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working at pace in an agile environment
- Strong understanding of building design solutions that are accessible for all
- A passion for making government services better for people who need them