San Francisco, CA (remote friendly).
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use.
The Code for America Programs staff lead the organization’s partnerships, system’s change and delivery-driven advocacy work to obtain measurably better outcomes in: increasing access to food; keeping people out of jail; ensuring the hardest to employ get and keep jobs and building a network that creates the conditions in which 21st century government can thrive. The Code for America Network is made up of community organizers and technologists across the country who host events and hack nights and work on technology projects that benefit their local communities. The Programs staff work cross-functionally with the organization’s product and marketing teams.
The Senior Program Director, Brigade Network will lead a team that supports, elevates, connects and grows more than 60+ local brigade chapters. The role will be responsible for the network infrastructure, scaling the network, maximizing the collective impact of the brigade chapters and building an inclusive community. The Senior Program Director will also manage budgets and develop financial sustainability; support a dynamic National Advisory Council; grow the Community Fellowship and Talent Initiatives and set direction for national conversations about transformation. The Program Director will join a dynamic Programs Leadership Team and will report to Code for America’s Chief Program Officer, ST Mayer. The role will manage three program staff and collaborate day to day with engineering, product and design staff.
This role manages a remote team and is ideally located in San Francisco; however, remote candidates will be considered.
- Be a network visionary in a way that consistently brings the voice of the network to Code for America’s strategic development and prioritization
- Build, maintain and grow relationships which scale the impact of the Code for America Brigades
- Engage and empower community members towards concrete and ambitious goals such that the sum of the network is greater than each individual chapter
- Identify and meet needs for technical and creative support and work directly with colleagues to deliver these resources - whether in kind, in house or through contractors
- Drive impeccable execution in the delivery of Brigade Congress, Brigade Summit Day, National Day of Civic Hacking and other network events
- Ensure accountability towards the network standards including implementation of the Code of Conduct, Brigade Memorandums of Understanding and financial support systems.
- Lead the development of compelling narratives, content and case studies such that Brigades are motivated and supported to take deeper and deeper action and the insights from one benefit all.
- Work closely with the Marketing Team to bring the value of Code for America’s brand to local Brigades and increase visibility of the network overall
- Work closely with the Development Team to secure philanthropic funding, share findings with funders and build the financial sustainability of the program
- Manage partnership with leaders in other countries that are part of the Code for All Network
- Build out the scaling and sustainability model for the Community Fellowship and Talent Initiatives
- Represent Code for America at conferences, events and in the field with the Code for America Network and national Code for All Network
- Manage, coach and grow a team of program staff
- 8+ years relevant work experience with increasing responsibility and at least 3+ years as a supervisor.
- Effective coalition builder and advocate with a well developed practice of assessing the impacts of policies, services and decisions on vulnerable communities; ability to step up/step back
- Independent thinker with an openness for new ideas and intellectual curiosity
- Inspires the best in others, optimistic and driven to create positive change
- Ability to communicate complex and powerful ideas to a variety of audiences in a way that creates a shared vision and support
- Success engaging with stakeholders and organizations across sectors (public, private, nonprofit) and translating for different audiences
- Strong political acumen and influencing skills for working with senior government officials, civil servants and volunteers
- Comfortable with conflict resolution and upholding the Code for America Code of Conduct
- Impeccable communicator as comfortable in the field as in a Boardroom
- Exceptional writer - and willingness to develop a public presence
- Strong process and project execution skills including quick follow-up, and a commitment to follow-through
- An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high-performing organization
- Values the role digital technology can play in helping make government work better and able to convince others of this value.
- Ability to take on 30% travel.
- Direct experience with a Code for America Brigade Chapter
- Work experience in local government or in close collaboration with a local government agency
- Experience in event production and bringing people together
- Understanding of financial management, budgets and grass roots fundraising
- Experience with agile product development and working within an iterative planning cycle
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
About Code for America
We are a six year old startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work collaboratively and agilely and strive to learn from everything we do. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- This job is remote friendly.
- Deadline: n/a