Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people in the 21st century. We build open source technology and organize a network of people dedicated to making government services simple, effective, and easy to use. We also work to improve the lives of some of the country’s most vulnerable populations experiencing poverty, incarceration and worklessness.
We see user research as critical to building good services for government and we are hiring a user researcher to help direct our product development across multiple programs. This role operates as part of a multidisciplinary team including engineers, designers and policy experts working at pace through iterative product development. The ideal candidate will be curious, empathetic, driven and skilled at supporting people to share their thoughts and experiences.
During early stage discovery your work will include contextual and ethnographic research to understand users and their needs. You will build user segments and personas and surface the key insights that set the direction for product development. Working alongside designers you will create low fidelity prototypes to test with users. For later stage product development, you will work alongside the product manager and data lead to plan and carry out qualitative research and usability testing that improves the performance of the service for users. This position reports to our Head of Product and is a full-time opportunity, based in San Francisco, Ca.
- Serve as the main user researcher across some of our most important digital products and services.
- Generate feedback and insights that drive product development by working directly with end users.
- Conduct qualitative research: building a research plan, recruiting participants, conducting research and analysing the results.
- Effectively and confidently use a variety of methods including facilitating groups, in-depth interviews, observations and quick intercepts.
- Understand which method to use to get the result you want and what to do if your findings are not clear.
- Be a confident communicator, able to share and discuss user insights and findings with both internal teams and wider external audiences.
- Minimum 4 years experience as a User Researcher, Design Researcher or equivalent.
- Proven experience of creating strong qualitative user research for service design, user experience or equivalent. (This role does not require a background in professional academic research).
- Experience working with vulnerable populations
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work in a fast paced agile environment
- Ability to travel estimated at 30%
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them
Code for America offers full health and dental benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
About Code for America
We are a six year old startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work collaboratively and agilely and strive to learn from everything we do. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- Deadline: n/a