Under general supervision, this position will oversee the development and implementation of the city’s data strategy as a priority initiative of the Mayor’s Office. The Data Manager will work to ensure the success of the City’s open data efforts and creating a transparent, outcomes-driven culture. The incumbent will oversee the development and implementation of the city’s data strategy, which includes facilitating data-driven decision-making through relevant performance management/analytics, promoting transparency through open data, and constructing a comprehensive strategy for citywide data collection, usage, and storage. This is an ideal position for an entrepreneurial leader interested in leading the adoption of innovative strategies to spur cultural change and solve pressing City challenges more effectively.
Skills and responsibilities
- Ensure decisions made by City leadership are informed by the best available data.
- Collaborate with City staff to enhance the City’s data culture to drive better outcomes, as part of its mission of providing efficient and effective services
- Ensure consistent and accurate data collection, storage, and reporting. Identify strategic ways of using existing data, and identify new sources of data, including how this data will be collected.
- Promote data access by transforming and consolidating disparate data sources into homogenous, accessible, secure data stores;
- Lead the City’s Open Data efforts and coordinate with the Department of Information Technology for build out and maintenance of the City’s Open Data portal.
- Enhance public participation in data process – developing new and creative ways to use the City’s data to better serve citizens and respond to emerging needs.
- Collaborate with Communications Director to implement a strategy to effectively communicate city data and outcomes related to strategic plan/priorities both internally and externally.
- Coordinate “CityStat” (Performance Management) meetings and ensure follow up.
- Work with the Finance Department to ensure performance data used by management is seamlessly integrated into budget processes.
- Act as coordinator of key stakeholder groups to ensure the success of data efforts – including the Open Data Advisory Group and citywide Data Coordinators.
- Advise on creation of policies and procedures for departments to identify, review, publish and maintain open data sets and help ensure compliance through ongoing advisement.
City of West Palm Beach,FL
$70,289.00-$111,856.00yearly, BENEFITS: Health, vision and dental insurance, Employee Health Clinic, basic life insurance, Long term disability insurance, holidays (11), 401(a) defined contribution plan with 6.5% City contribution, accrued vacations, accrued sick leave, and many other voluntary benefits.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Management Information Systems, computer science, Public or Business Administration, or closely related field and five (5) years of progressive leadership experience in leading cross-functional teams in information technology, technology project management, data system design and support initiatives, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. A Master’s degree is highly desirable.
Experience implementing a data management program; Experience in quantitative analysis, advanced mathematics, statistics, economics and/or computer science; and experience with database management, data hygiene and transformation, or data visualization.
A valid State of Florida driver’s license, required. A valid driver’s license from any state (equivalent to a State of Florida Class E) may be utilized upon application; with the ability to obtain the State of Florida driver’s license within 30 days from day of employment.