The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future that is both environmentally and economically sustainable. With locations in Golden, Boulder and Washington D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States. The NREL mission is to develop renewable energy and energy efficient technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering, and transfer knowledge and innovation to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
The Geospatial Data Science team in NREL’s Strategic Energy Analysis Center has an immediate opening for an interdisciplinary Technical Product and Project manager to manage and contribute technical work to our OpenCarto Platform. OpenCarto is a software infrastructure built internally at NREL to enable the creation of web geographic information system (GIS) applications. It allows for individual applications built on the infrastructure to leverage existing user interface features, geospatial analyses, and database architecture to reduce cost and effort in creating applications that share features but use different data. Examples of OpenCarto apps can be found on NREL’s page, “Data Visualization and Geospatial Tools” at https://www.nrel.gov/gis/tools.html. 50% to 70% of this role is currently focused on product and project management. The candidate must additionally have 1 or more skills from the “Preferred Skills” section and be willing and able to perform those technical duties as well.
The ideal candidate will bring a multidisciplinary background in software product and project management, user experience design, software development, and geospatial data visualization and analysis. The candidate must be willing to work in an interdisciplinary role in an interdisciplinary field, together with software developers, scientists, engineers, and policy analysts, and must have exceptional communication and organizational skills in addition to a technical background.
Skills and responsibilities
Responsibilities for this role include the following:
- Own and communicate product vision and roadmap for our OpenCarto Platform
- Write user stories and maintain product backlog
- Implement and promote iterative development and user-centered design
- Exemplify and promote best practices in product development
- Coordinate the work of an interdisciplinary team of software developers, GIS scientists, and geospatial data scientists in collaborating with energy engineers, policy analysts, and agency officials to design, develop, and deliver digital products based on complex scientific analyses
- Identify scope of work with partners and track budget and progress toward delivery
- Help identify and address team blockers and pain points
- Contribute information about project scope and software capability to project funding proposals
- Manage analytics strategy for collecting, reviewing, and reporting analytics data
- Support content strategy for materials related to OpenCarto apps
- Make technical contributions under 1 or more areas listed under “Preferred Skills”
- Experience as a software product manager
- Experience as a software project manager
- Demonstrated ability to apply user-centered design and design thinking principles to software project management
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication
- Exemplary organization skills and attention to detail
- Passion for NREL’s mission
- Ability to be resilient and overcome obstacles
- Ability to learn and understand the scientific context of software features
- Ability to work independently or on a team and take ownership of tasks
- Deadline: n/a
Relevant Master's Degree . Or, relevant Bachelor's Degree and 2 or more years of experience . General knowledge and application of engineering technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. Training in team, task or project leadership responsibilities. Intermediate abilities and knowledge of practices and techniques. Beginning experience in project management. Good writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience as a geospatial scientist, geospatial data scientist, or geographer
- Experience as a UX/UI designer
- Experience in devops (Chef, Docker, Linux, Jenkins)
- Experience in database administration
- Domain knowledge in renewable energy analysis and engineering
- Domain knowledge in international development and policy analysis