Benefits Data Trust (BDT) is a national not-for-profit organization committed to transforming how individuals in need access essential benefits and services. BDT envisions an efficient, cost-effective health and human services system that proactively connects individuals and families to the supports they need so that people are healthier and more economically secure, and communities are stronger. Through direct service delivery and systems change efforts, BDT works to improve health, social, and economic outcomes, streamline the benefits enrollment process, and reduce administrative costs for government and nonprofit agencies. BDT employs 160 employees in Philadelphia, and operates programs in Colorado, Connecticut, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina.
Since its inception in 2005, BDT has successfully submitted over 700,000 benefits applications for low-income households across the country, securing over $7 billion in benefits for food, healthcare, heating and other services that help move individuals and families toward financial stability. BDT now submits more benefit applications each year than any other single entity in the nation.
Research and evaluations have found BDT’s direct service delivery, comprised of targeted outreach and enrollment assistance, to be highly cost-effective. BDT also works with government agencies to assist them in adopting policies and practices proven to streamline benefits enrollment, and BDT partners with leading researchers to document the impact of benefits access and cost-effective outreach and enrollment strategies.
We are looking for a qualified Front-end Developer who is curious about new technologies and aspires to use human-centered design to inform the digital experience. This is a dynamic and fast-paced environment, where you will be responsible for translating our company and customer needs into functional and appealing web applications.
The Front End Developer reports to the Director of Engineering
● Use markup languages like HTML5 to create user-friendly web pages
● Build, maintain and improve web applications
● Optimize applications for maximum speed
● Design responsive web applications
● Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to improve usability
● Get feedback from, and build solutions for, users and customers
● Write functional requirement documents and guides
● Create quality mockups and prototypes
● Help back-end engineers with styling and troubleshooting
● Ensure high quality graphic standards and design consistency
● Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
● Proven work experience as a Front-end Developer
● Hands on experience with markup languages
● Experience with a front-end framework, especially React.js or Angular
● Familiarity with browser testing and debugging
● In-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
● Understanding of layout aesthetics
● Knowledge of SEO principles
● Familiarity with design software like Adobe Suite, Sketch, Invision and content management systems
● An ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
● Strong design thinking skills
● Excellent analytical and multitasking skills
● BSc degree in Computer Science or relevant field