The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of technology services and assets. The City operates a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment. Come join us realize the San Jose Smart City Vision!
The City of San Jose is recruiting for an Enterprise Database Administrator (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department. This position reports to the Enterprise Database Manager (Enterprise Principal Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department.
The Enterprise Database Administrator position requires a high degree of technical expertise and is responsible for managing the City’s enterprise database environment to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and related services. This position requires strong hands on experience in administering Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases on Linux and Windows platforms. If you want to work in an environment that fosters creativity, innovation and teamwork, this is the role for you!
Skills and responsibilities
- Provide administration for Enterprise Databases including the following: install, configure, start/stop, upgrade, patch, monitor, manage, performance tuning, troubleshooting and maintain database objects, third party tools, replication, and clustering.
- Maintain documentation of the database/instance configurations.
- Configure database backups and ensure backups are executed successfully.
- Perform routine database loads/transformation per instructions provided through change management process.
- Apply Security Technical Implementation Guidelines (STIGs) on all databases.
- Apply database patches and updates quarterly.
- Open support tickets with database vendor as needed.
- Evaluate and research customer workloads and use cases, including performance, availability, and scalability.
- Analyze issues holistically, from the application tier through the database down to the storage.
- Resolve database, systems and infrastructure-related issues.
- Take ownership and act with a high sense of urgency.
- Deadline: n/a
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices including enterprise architecture, technical project management, application lifecycle management, and applicable industry applications/systems platform tools. Breadth of expertise to enable managing major technology services, programs, and products across multiple departmental technology environments as well as ensuring cross coordination between departments, including adherence with Citywide and departmental procedures/policies, and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience:
- Oracle 10g, 11g, and/or 12c databases
- MS SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, 2014, 2016 and/or 2017
- Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC)
- MS AlwaysOn
- Oracle Data Guard
- MS SQL Server Database Mirroring
- MS Failover Cluster
- Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
- Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN)
- Oracle Database Appliance (ODA)
- SQL programming
- Shell programing (C, Korn, KSH, Bourne)
- PowerShell programming
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) and/or MCSA is highly desirable
Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Flexibility – Makes effective decisions and achieves desired results in the midst of major changes in responsibilities, work processes, timeframes, performance expectations, organizational culture, or work environment.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Planning – Acts to align own unit's goals with the strategic direction of the organization; defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives, while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.