We care deeply about reducing incarceration in this country and believe better access to services that help someone rebuild their life are critical to a healthy society.
Millions of people are eligible to clear past offenses from their record that could disqualify them from employment, housing, student loans, or social services. Clear My Record is a free, online, multi-county channel that makes it easy for people to access record clearance opportunities. Code for America’s mission is to clear all eligible records in the country and this role will be pivotal in meeting that aim.
Code for America uses a data-driven, user-centered, and iterative approach to building technology. The Senior Product Manager will help us move from a product pilot that shows real promise to a full scale solution being used across the country.
This role will work alongside the Program Director and report to the Head of Product and is based in San Francisco, CA.
We are looking for someone who sees delivery as the best way to demonstrate value and can drive a fast paced multidisciplinary team to implementation. The ideal candidate will be flexible and adaptable to change: knowing when to move or change direction and remain a clear and effective decision-maker for their team.
The right candidate will be an expert at understanding multiple perspectives (users, partners, leadership and funders) and seeing the bigger picture. They will understand the use of technology and be able to find opportunities where technology can not just improve but radically transform the delivery of public services.
In this position you will:
- Define, explain and iterate a product vision that is compelling to your users, team and stakeholders
- Work in partnership with the program team to align the product vision with the program and the organization's larger objectives, vision and goals
- Create a clear and compelling strategy for the product that the team can align around: define product metrics, create roadmaps, and scope/prioritize experiments and features that prove impact.
- Negotiate with and influence external partners, stakeholders and customers successfully - communicating context, strategy and decisions clearly and effectively.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team to deliver several early stage products and iteratively improve them through several delivery cycles
- Manage new feature development, from working with designers on user flows to translating designs into user-stories to overseeing quality assurance.
- Lead processes and ensure the team stays on task and happily working towards product goals.
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities.
- Champion a culture of continuous learning and improvement and knowledge sharing inside the team and across the organization.
- At least 5 years of product development experience with increasing responsibility, some in government or similar institutions.
- Experience leading more than one large scale product or service through to successful delivery.
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology - iteratively improving products through delivery cycles.
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, user testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions.
- Strong product judgement - knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment and when to change direction.
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them
- Ability to travel estimated at 15%.
Code for America offers full health and vision benefits, a 401k plan with matching funds, a flexible time-off policy, and a culture that is collaborative, hardworking and fun.
Submit your application at http://codeforamerica.org/jobs. You may also contact us with any questions at email@example.com
About Code for America
Founded in 2011, Code for America is a startup non-profit with a great culture and a huge opportunity to make a difference. We work in cross-functional teams, collaboratively and agilely and value high-quality, user-friendly work product. We strive to learn from everything we do and regularly host talks from leaders in the civic technology movement. We respect each other, work hard, and have a great time together. We’re looking for individuals who share our vision, our values, and our willingness to do what it takes to achieve an ambitious mission over the next few years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.