The Office of the Comptroller is responsible for monitoring the County's budget and financial operations, auditing government agencies and county vendors, review county contract and claims, and administer the County payroll and health benefits function, among other things.
The Performance Management Analyst will be a part of the Comptroller's front office, and will work directly with the Director of Analytics and Performance Management, the Chief Deputy Comptroller, and other members of the team.
The Office of the Nassau County Comptroller is seeking a full time analyst who will work with our team on data collection, management, and analysis. Applicants should have a background in economic, financial, or public policy analysis and the ability to leverage data to produce reports and compelling visualizations to drive reform. We are seeking intellectually curious, proactive-minded, and innovative applicants who can find solutions to complex problems within county government and work in a fast paced environment.
Skills and responsibilities
The Performance Management Analyst will assist with a number of projects, including:
- Assisting with designing, implementing, and maintaining a data management platform
- Researching, cleaning, and verifying existing financial and operational datasets; collecting raw data; and developing data dictionaries
- Assisting with developing methodologies to measure and report on financial and operational performance
- Conducting data analysis
- Preparing fact sheets, reports, white papers, and other work product to summarize key information for County departments, vendors, and the public
- Assisting with ad hoc reports and projects as needed
- Performing related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, with an ability to digest complex information, synthesize information from multiple sources, and proactively assess data quality
- Knowledge of data analysis techniques with an understanding of basic statistical concepts
- Proficient in SAS, Stata, or R; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Word; and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Experience managing, cleaning, and analyzing large datasets
- Ability to design compelling graphics and reports to present key findings and information
- Strong written and communication skills, including the ability to explain complex, technical subject matter to a general audience
- Strong teamwork skills, and the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, economics, public policy, public administration, finance, or a related field of study
- At least one year of professional experience in a role involving data management and/or collection, data analysis, or performance management