MTA NYC Transit (NYCT) serves more than 5.6 million subway customers and 2.5 million bus customers on an average weekday. Its 48,000 employees provide mass transit and paratransit service throughout the five boroughs of New York City, including operating almost 6,400 subway cars at 472 stations.
The Customer Communications Manager will work out of the Rail Control Center – the 24/7
operations hub of the New York City subway system. The Manager is responsible for
maintaining the voice of New York City Transit and ensure that communications are
timely, accurate, useful, and consistent.
In this role, you’ll work closely with a variety of stakeholders, from executive
management to front-line staff to subject matter experts with vast amounts of technical
knowledge. Field visits are a bonus part of the job and no two days are alike. In addition, you will learn the ins and outs of the largest transportation system in North America. The successful candidate will be inquisitive and motivated to gather disparate information and distill it into useful and approachable content that is helpful to customers.
If you get excited by the nitty gritty or if you are someone who loves to ask “Why?”, this role may be for you.
Skills and responsibilities
- Monitor incidents and work with operations staff to gather information in real-time
- Direct teams to write and publish broadcast communications across New York City Transit channels, including announcements on buses, trains, and platforms, digital signage at stations and stops, mta.info, My MTA Alerts, and social media, where you’ll also guide 1:1 customer engagement
- Train staff in customer communication, voice and tone, etc.
- Assess effectiveness of communications efforts, recommend and implement improvements
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in communications, business administration, public administration, transportation studies, or a related field and eight (8) years of professional experience, including four (4) years of experience managing people - OR - a combination of education and experience equivalent to the above.
- Considerable experience writing for digital channels
- Knowledge of service operations, customer services and/or communications
- Ability to juggle and respond to competing priorities
- Ability to quickly analyze information and make thoughtful recommendations
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience in user-centered principles; e.g. people-centered, experience or service design