Background/IRC Summary: The Global Communications department is charged with building IRC’s profile and growing our supporter base, to expand our influence and drive revenue. Our urgent mandate for 2018 (and beyond) is to significantly increase audience reach and engagement in digital channels. To achieve this, we’ve consolidated core communications disciplines – digital content, video, social, user experience (UX) design and web development – into an integrated Digital Communications and Content team. This lean and mighty team is content-led, audience-centered and laser-focused on identifying innovative new outreach and engagement approaches for social, search, mobile and emerging digital channels.
Job Overview/Summary: The Digital Content Analyst will fill a new role helping the Communications department foster a climate of data-driven decision making in our work. The successful candidate will proactively inform and support the Digital Communications and Content team's work producing innovative multimedia web content to engage audiences across our digital channels, by performing proactive data analysis and advising on audience growth opportunities. This role calls for an experienced web data, marketing and audience growth analyst who is both strategic and hands-on, with a firm grasp of digital audience growth strategy and business dynamics as well as front-line experience performing data analysis and reporting to inform and guide digital editorial or content marketing teams.
Reporting to the Sr. Digital Product Officer, the Digital Content Analyst works seamlessly across the Communications team and with other key stakeholders (Marketing and fundraising colleagues; IRC’s UK/Europe team) setting an example for excellence in data reporting and analysis to ensure the Communications team achieves its KPIs, ultimately expanding the influence of the IRC and improving the lives of our refugee clients.
- Work with Digital colleagues from Site, Social and Video to identify core KPIs for tracking Communications team goals, and develop reports and tools to effectively track those KPIs.
- Prepare reporting from Google Analytics and other available tools, both at regular intervals and on-demand for campaigns and content pushes, to capture content performance and trends across channels.
- Regularly engage with content creators and other Communications, Marketing and Advocacy colleagues, informing team on data and audience trends to optimize content to meet key goals.
- Work with Communications colleagues to create a quarterly reports package across Communications disciplines -- Earned Media, Content (including Site, Social, Video), Internal Communications -- for presentation to senior management.
- Create new analytics reporting dashboards, templates and procedures to present data clearly and efficiently, and bring tools directly into the hands of content creators and decisionmakers.
- Work with Sr. Digital Product Officer, User Experience team and Web Developers to shape and implement qualitative and quantitative user testing strategies to optimize on-page content and conversion user experience.
- Work with site editors to explore search engine optimization (SEO) opportunities, keyword strategies and other insights, ensuring better distribution of our content through search.
- Act as primary business administrator of key Digital Communications and Content analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, SEO tracking tools (such as SEO Moz), social media measurement tools (such as Simply Measured) and other user experience tracking and testing tools (such as Optimizely, Crazy Egg).
- Collaborate with Marketing and Fundraising colleagues to share Communications data insights and work towards goal of 360-degree view of supporters in IRC's CRM (Salesforce)
- Guide decision-making regarding adoption and use of analytics tools and features. Develop/oversee analytics policies, procedures and guidance for the organization, and for global colleagues; perform analytics trainings for IRC staff where needed.
- Contribute to a culture of continuous learning and optimization.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Sr. Digital Product Officer
Position directly supervises: None
Indirect Resources: multimedia content creators and content coordinator; ux designers and web developers; global content and social media staff
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Collaborates with Digital Comms & Content Team; Comms Generalists; Entertainment Relations; Global Comms. Partners with Marketing; Corporate Partners; Advocacy. Supports other departments (IT, HR, Volunteers) as needed.
External: Works with partners (Comms/Content; Corporate); may also work with agencies and campaigns.
Impact of work: Support efforts to IRC’s brand profile (to drive influence and fundraising).
Minimum: B.A. or B.S. degree in a related field
- Minimum 3-4 years professional experience in web analytics for digital communications, editorial or marketing, such as at an agency, in a newsroom, or at a large nonprofit
- Experience in maintaining and adapting new and existing analytics systems in the digital content and/or marketing context for an organization or agency
- Experience creating clean, readable reports for review by staff in all levels of the organization, to inform digital strategy and analyze performance
- Experience working and coordinating across distributed, remote teams
- Outstanding analytical skills and excellent attention to details
- Flexible attitude. Able to constructively manage conflict, ambiguity, change and to juggle multiple projects and competing priorities at once
- Strong collaborative and communication ability
- Ability to work effectively, efficiently, diplomatically and calmly in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive
Advanced knowledge of Google Analytics required, including experience with features using ecommerce conversions and goals tracking, content analytics using custom dimensions, funnel tracking and attribution modeling
Advanced Microsoft Excel skills for data analysis required.
- Experience building custom reports in tools such as Google Data Studio or comparable business intelligence platforms, aggregating data from multiple sources (such as Google Analytics, social media, 3rd-party platforms, CRM)
- Experience using Google Tag Manager (GTM) integration for Google Analytics, custom tracking using pixels, tags and triggers in GTM
- Experience tracking and reporting for digital paid ad campaigns (Facebook, Google AdWords, search, display) strongly preferred
- Experience analyzing native social media data from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.
- Experience using Social media analytics tracking tools such as Simply Measured or Trackmaven, social listening tools such as CrowdTangle, Sprout Social
- Experience using media/PR/share-of-voice tracking tools such as Meltwater and Cision preferred
- Excellent skills with presentation software such as Powerpoint, Keynote for data reporting presentations to key stakeholders
- Experience with qualitative and statistically significant quantitative user testing and page-level testing with tools such as Google Experiments, Optimizely and Crazy Egg preferred
- Familiarity with project management task tracking tools such as Basecamp, Trello, JIRA a plus
- Familiarity with shared document tools such as Box, Google Docs/Drive, AirTable
Working Environment: Fact-paced and fluid work environment.
Position Reports to: Sr. Digital Product Officer
Standard office work environment.