City Bureau is a Chicago-based civic journalism lab that brings journalists and community members together in a collaborative spirit to produce equitable media coverage and encourage civic participation.
A qualified Developer will be able to work with a designer and project manager to implement a web application within a timeframe set in conjunction with City Bureau staff. Our team is comprised of 5 journalists and a committee of volunteer coders—for more on the work our coding community has achieved regarding this project, please visit our project GitHub.
We are looking for a contract Developer to join City Bureau’s Labs team. The main responsibility of this position is to build a workflow application for use by City Bureau’s Documenters program. A qualified Developer will be able to work on a team with a designer and project manager to implement a web application within a timeframe set in conjunction with City Bureau staff.
The ideal candidate will have excellent knowledge of at least one programming language and be familiar with building database-backed web applications. Experience with a web framework such as Django or Rails is nice to have but not required. The ideal candidate will also have an analytical mindset, a keen eye for detail, solid time management, and great communication skills. Preference will be given to candidates based in Chicago but we will consider remote candidates who are a good fit. A regular meeting and check-in schedule will be determined based on availability and location.
Our selection process is designed to be fast and respectful of each candidate’s time. The first round is a simple 10-question webform about your professional experience. The second round is a thorough proposal and video interview. All second-round candidates will be paid for their proposals regardless of final selection. Candidates will be asked to include their hourly rate, estimated total project hours and 6-month availability (approximate available hours per week) in their second round proposal.
for more on the work our team has done so far related to this project, please review the following:
- The City Scrapers website
- The Documenters program website
- "City Bureau and ProPublica Illinois Partner on Public Meeting Data"
- "Investing in Our Documenters = Investing in Our Community"
Skills and responsibilities
- Understand client requirements and how they translate into code
- Collaborate with a team of journalists and IT professionals to set priorities
- Ability to respond to bugs/issues within 1-2 days
- Write high-quality source code to program complete the application within deadlines
- Write automated tests for the application
- Troubleshoot and debug the application
- Deploy the application and debug hosting issues
- Document system design, implementation, and development setup
Chicago,ILThis job opening is based in Chicago but we will consider remote candidates who are a good fit. All applications will be reviewed regardless of location.
We are looking for an experienced applications developer but will seriously consider applicants with less than 5 years of experience who identify as a member of an under-represented group in tech and/or journalism. All first-round applications will be reviewed regardless of background or experience level.
DO YOU FULFILL AT LEAST ⅔ OF THESE REQUIREMENTS? IF SO, PLEASE APPLY.
- Proven experience as a solo developer on a project
- Experience building web applications using a framework such as Django, Rails, etc.
- Excellent understanding of software design and programming principles
- Strong written communication skills and willingness to communicate with team members using a chat application
- Ability to think analytically and creatively solve problems
- Great attention to detail and time-management skills
- Experience with integration and automated testing
- Infrastructure maintenance and deployment
- Experience building content management systems