The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city by building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. Four fundamental principles guide our task: put the needs of residents first, focus on delivery and outcomes over process, promote an agile and data driven culture, and make City services accessible to everyone. We have some exciting and high-profile products in our pipeline, including re-building the city’s website from the ground up, affordable housing applications, and registering new cannabis businesses.
We’re growing the digital services team that operates and iteratively improves the affordable housing service (housing.sfgov.org), as well as the Salesforce implementation used to manage larger affordable housing operations. Funded by the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD), the team is also part of the San Francisco Digital Services Team. Candidates must be ready to quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team. You’ll help improve the affordable housing application product, expand MOHCD’s digital services to meet additional needs of housing applicants, and also collaborate closely with the program team to rethink all service channels in order to streamline the applicant experience.
We are looking for an expert product manager to lead multi-disciplinary development of new user-focused digital services. While the products you work on may vary, our team is currently working on services that help people find affordable housing, start a business, find work, register as a cannabis business, find a pro-bono lawyer for immigration help, and more. As a Digital Services PM you’ll help manage stakeholders and the product team around common goals, manage delivery using disciplined agile methodology, and ensure that analytics and feedback are used to improve the product. You’ll also be a champion for user needs, improving business processes, and cutting bureaucratic red tape. Successful candidates will have leadership experience on agile product teams.
Skills and responsibilities
- Coordinate a multi-disciplinary agile software development team to manage delivery and iteratively improve the affordable housing application service, as well as build new user-focused digital services for affordable housing.
- Partner with product managers, designers, and developers at the vendors with which we work.
- Oversee roadmap planning, resource management, procurement, and vendor management. Flag potential risk points early and work with the team and stakeholders to creative solutions to address pitfalls.
- Communicate the team’s progress and challenges to key stakeholders, and ensure that your team members are kept up to date.
- Participate in planning and conducting thoughtful and ethical user research. Effectively capture and use insights from user research to propose improvements to policy, service design, and delivery. Serve as an internal advocate for housing applicants and ensuring that new services meet their needs - and exceed their expectations.
- Define and get stakeholder buy-in for product definition and delivery approach. Gather and use evidence to assess the costs, benefits and risks of a wide range of delivery options. Implement a product vision developed in collaboration with department leadership.
- Create effective, prioritized product descriptions, user stories, and delivery plans to meet user needs in a cost-effective way. In some cases, serve as scrummaster or delivery manager.
- Multi-channel delivery: Work with the designer and department partners on the strategy for paper and analog channels to complement digital service delivery.
- Work comfortably in an agile environment with rapidly changing deadlines, workloads, and goals.
- Lead data-based continuous delivery and improvement, ensuring that services are regularly analysed, maintained and improved to better user experience. Design service processes to include continuous feedback loops between customers and the service team.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing the development of outstanding web-based products for a consumer-oriented website. Experience re-designing complex products, services, or transactions to be more simple, beautiful, and easy to use.
- Product team experience including: Experience leading the user research and user testing process; writing user stories; managing roadmaps, leading agile scrum methodology, and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Strong technical understanding of modern web product development.
- Strong working knowledge of Lean and Agile practices. Experience working within Agile teams and incorporating user testing & feedback into agile processes.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally.
- A personal interest in public service or civic technology.
- Excellent HTML & CSS skills.
- Experience with creating user journey maps and/or service blueprints.
- Demonstrable and practical experience, in public or private sector, of transformational change to business processes and systems to deliver improved user experience and cost savings.
- Salesforce experience.
- Design experience, including the ability to create sketches, wireframes and mockups to communicate features to clients, designers and developers.
- Development experience, including the knowledge to interface with developers about coding practices, delivery and acceptance processes, testing, etc.
- Experience with metrics and analytics, defining KPI’s, tracking conversion funnels, and extracting insight from data.