The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city by building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. Four fundamental principles guide our task: put the needs of residents first, focus on delivery and outcomes over process, promote an agile and data driven culture, and make City services accessible to everyone. We have some exciting and high-profile products in our pipeline, including re-building the city’s website from the ground up, affordable housing applications, and registering new cannabis businesses.
We’re growing the digital services team that operates and iteratively improves the affordable housing service (housing.sfgov.org), as well as the Salesforce implementation used to manage larger affordable housing operations. Funded by the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD), the team is also part of the San Francisco Digital Services Team. Candidates must be ready to quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team. You’ll help improve the affordable housing application product, expand MOHCD’s digital services to meet additional needs of housing applicants, and also collaborate closely with the program team to rethink all service channels in order to streamline the applicant experience.
We are looking for an expert designer with broad experience with UX, UI, and visual design to join the new housing digital services team. As the housing team’s designer you will have an important role in continuing to uphold the high design bar we have set on housing.sfgov.org over the last two years. You will help lead user research, produce prototypes and designs, work closely with front-end developers.
Skills and responsibilities
- Serve as the designer on a new, small multi-disciplinary team that is operating and improving the affordable housing application service, as well as building new user-focused digital services for affordable housing
- Partner with designers and developers at the vendors we work with
- Build intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for transactional affordable housing services, as well as content related to affordable housing
- Lead user research and testing, serving as an internal advocate for housing applicants and ensuring that new services meet their needs - and exceed their expectations
- Develop storyboards, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes to communicate interaction and design ideas throughout the development process
- Conduct ongoing user testing and improve designs based on analytics and feedback
- Facilitate a consistent user experience by using and expanding our pattern library, including helping align it with efforts to develop a broader City style guide and pattern library
- Help instill a design culture in the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development, championing the value and role of design in all we do
- Work comfortably in an agile environment with rapidly changing deadlines, workloads, and goals. Participate in Agile software development scrum team
- At least three years of experience designing outstanding web-based products for a consumer-oriented website. Experience re-designing complex products, services, or transactions to be more simple, beautiful, and easy to use.
- Demonstrable design skills including sketching, rapid prototyping, user testing, design production, and familiarity with HTML & CSS.
- Product team experience including: Experience leading the user research and user testing process; delivering iterative design components (including user journeys and prototypes); and working with an agile scrum methodology.
- Strong, modern visual design sense.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally.
- A personal interest in public service or civic technology.
- Self-awareness, willingness to seek and give feedback, curiosity and a quest for self improvement are all personal attributes we encourage.
- Experience designing to meet web accessibility standards including Section 508 and WCAG.