The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city by building services designed around the people that use them. Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. Four fundamental principles guide our task: put the needs of residents first, focus on delivery and outcomes over process, promote an agile and data driven culture, and make City services accessible to everyone. We have some exciting and high-profile products in our pipeline, including re-building the city’s website from the ground up, affordable housing applications, and registering new cannabis businesses.
We’re growing the digital product team that operates and iteratively improves the affordable housing service (housing.sfgov.org), as well as the Salesforce implementation used to manage larger affordable housing operations. Funded by the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development (MOHCD), the team is also part of the San Francisco Digital Services Team. Candidates must be ready to quickly get to work within a multi-disciplinary team. You’ll help improve the affordable housing application product, expand MOHCD’s digital services to meet additional needs of housing applicants, and also collaborate closely with the program team to rethink all service channels in order to streamline the applicant experience.
We are seeking an outstanding, experienced senior full-stack engineer to help iteratively improve the affordable housing application service at housing.sfgov.org, as well as build new services to meet the needs of affordable housing seekers.
Skills and responsibilities
- Serve as the lead engineer on a team (with internal colleagues as well as designers and developers at vendors) to operate and improve the affordable housing application service, as well as build new user-focused digital services for affordable housing.
- Participate in prototyping, feature prioritization, scrum meetings, code review, and architecture discussions.
- Practice and enthusiastically share Agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Take pride of ownership in all projects you touch; leave code better than you found it. Contribute to documentation, tests, style fixes, accessibility, performance, security, etc.
- Help lead decisions about our development and deployment environments. Help maintain our robust automated test suite to support a Continuous Deployment environment.
- Deliver projects that are easy to deploy, update, and monitor by ensuring the tooling for this is present early in the project development cycle./li>
- Build web products that are mobile first and accessible from the start.
- Responsible for a production system, including occasional support outside of business hours.
- Write great documentation as we go, including training documentation and release notes.
- 4+ years experience building, shipping, and operating production web products. Experience building client and server-side web applications.
- Experience working in Agile development methodology and iterative development cycles.
- Experience with development for mobile browsers, including understanding of the use of responsive web design and responsive front-end development. Knowledge of browser capability and screen readers.
- Working on a team that embraces user-centered design with focus on both user and stakeholder needs.
- Demonstrated experience writing clear, well-tested code. Test-Driven Development experience, ideally using Jasmine and RSpec.
- Deep knowledge of git and git/github flow process.
- Experience writing documentation.
- Work well with a cross-functional team. Ability to collaborate with designers to rapidly prototype ideas.
- Experience with Web standards, development for accessibility, browser compatibility, known issues for all major browsers and operating systems.
- Experience building services for underserved populations (front-end accessibility including Section 508 compliance; internationalization).
- DevOps and/or AWS experience.