Benefits Data Trust (BDT), is a rapidly expanding national not-for-profit organization with the mission of transforming how individuals in need access public benefits. As the organization grows from serving 40,000 people in need each year to over 100,000 people in need each year, we need strong team members to help us maintain our quality and strengthen our ability to effectively and comprehensively assist an ever-growing client base. BDT is seeking a talented, innovative and solutions- oriented individual to serve as the organization’s Lead Software Engineer.
Benefits Data Trust is looking for an engineer to join our team onsite in center city Philadelphia.
We are looking for creative, compassionate individuals who want to use their love for technology to positively affect the lives of others. You’ll be working on a suite of products referred to as PRISM. PRISM Contact Center is the CRM and benefit estimation tool that powers our call center, and has empowered BDT’s benefit specialists to aid over 500,000 people find the help they need. PRISM Community is a browser based SaaS product for Community Based Organizations, which enables face-to-face screenings for public benefits, like SNAP and Medicaid. PRISM Direct interacts with clients themselves; empowering those in need to self-screen a comprehensive set of benefits and submit documents on their own.
Our engineering team is friendly and highly collaborative, so we want you to be too. We like reasonable, opinionated people and expect friendly sparing about best coding practices in meetings and around the office. All voices are heard, but loyalty to decisions is expected. Our working environment is fun, caring, and relaxed while our work is passionate, serious, and professional.
The Lead Software Engineer position is an opportunity to make a vast impact by simplifying the tasks of co-workers continually and by aiding the needs of people across the country systematically.
This is a senior position within our Engineering department. Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate ways they have mentored other engineers and architected solutions to complex problems. We are looking for an experienced engineer who can share this knowledge effectively with others.
The Lead Software Engineer will report to the Director of Software Engineering.
Skills and responsibilities
· Proactively seek out and complete features in a reasonably scheduled time;
· Pair with other developers to troubleshoot, refactor, and help/learn;
· Provide constructive code reviews of pull requests;
· Write effective tests proving accuracy of code;
· Communicate to fellow team members the reasons why choosing approaches to solutions.
- Deadline: n/a
- 5+ years developing browser-based software applications;
- Familiarity with data engineering and backend data processing;
- Proficiency in another programming languages a plus, like Python, Elixir, or Go;
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills, a detail-oriented personality, a collaborative spirit, and a love for technology that will ultimately impact the lives of others;
- Experience in other aspects of web development like graphics, video, writing, server admin, database optimization, and or deployment automation is a plus.
- Comfortable working with Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and understand different services that GCP offers.
- College degree – especially in a CS-related field is a plus.