Under the direction of the City of Detroit Chief Information Officer (CIO), the Director of Emerging Technology will lead the Innovation & Emerging Technology (IET) team within the Department of Innovation & Technology (DoIT). IET partners with city departments and agencies to identify and build digital tools that solve civic problems and information challenges.
Innovation & Emerging Technology (IET) is a team of developers who partner with City departments to prototype, evaluate, and deliver digital tools that solve civic problems and information challenges. We manage Detroit’s open data program and a portfolio of open-source projects that range from mapping tools to text and voice applications. Our work aims to simplify internal workflows, make data more accessible to residents, and help our City government be more responsive and connected.
The Director of Emerging Technology will:
- Advocate on behalf of the team’s mission and be excited to solve civic problems through open, iterative, and thoughtful app development at the City of Detroit
- Identify internal and external partners who have shared goals of making City information more transparent and generate new project opportunities
- Support our team in project implementation and execution by designing processes to formalize how we scope, build, test, and scale our solutions
- Be versed in product management and able to coordinate a varied ecosystem of tools, from custom in-house apps to enterprise systems like our Socrata open data portal
- Work in the open and be familiar with modern, free & open-source softwares while maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism towards shiny new technologies and buzzwords
- Salary: , Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent work experience, plus three (3) years of progressively responsible experience working in the technology sector. Prior experience working in Detroit’s technology community is a plus.
Our ideal candidate is skilled in communicating technology concepts to diverse audiences, practices a participatory style of leadership and research & development, and is eager to facilitate a small developer-led team. We expect you to help our team grow through training and professional development opportunities. You are not expected to write code, but are curious, open to learning, and familiar with tools like Github.