The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates on a budget of $3.5 billion with 6,000+ employees, all serving one million residents and businesses across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, the Customer Contact Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust technology infrastructure environment.
Come join us realize San Jose’s Smart City Vision!
The City of San Jose is recruiting for a Client Support Team Lead (Enterprise Supervising Technology Analyst) in the Information Technology Department. As a technical lead, this position will be responsible for overseeing and managing client-devices and day-to-day Customer Support services.
The City of San Jose believes in the model of utilizing technology as a means for increased optimization as well as cost savings. With significant technology refresh and upgrade, there is a greater need for highly skilled technical hands-on leadership, oversight and technical project management.
This position requires strong technical hands-on experience and leadership skills as well as the ability to take initiative and direct others. We are seeking an individual with a willingness to adapt to an ever changing business as well as an ever changing technical environment.
The ideal candidate must be able to take full ownership of managing infrastructure operations, and leading projects to completion. This position demands a proven ability to resolve complex technical issues with limited resources. A team leader, team player and positive attitude are essential to this position.
Skills and responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical leadership for the City’s enterprise client infrastructure and operations which includes: desktops, mobile devices, phones, and related applications.
- Manage enterprise client technology (Active Directory, GPOs, Airwatch, Office 365, VMware Vsphere and Horizon View, etc.) and related administration tools.
- Perform hands-on system configuration and advanced troubleshooting infrastructure issues to ensure service availability to meet service level expectations.
- Develop technical guidelines, governance framework to ensure best practices and security.
- resolve advanced infrastructure issues and service outages.
- Lead project implementation to completion.
- Coordinate communication and IT service needs with departments.
- Manage enterprise client asset including tracking, replacement, and surplus of equipment.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to engineers and technicians.
- Ensure the team is meeting and exceeding performance expectations as defined through metrics and benchmarks.
- Manage project resources, employee work plans and performance appraisals.
- Deadline: n/a
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field, AND four (4) years of progressively responsible professional/journey level experience, of which at least two (2) years of experience include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis up to two (2) years.
Completion of a Master's Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one (1) year of the required two (2) years of experience which include lead technical work in development, implementation and maintenance of electronic business systems/solutions or application development and/or support.
Required Licensing (such as driver’s license, certifications, etc.)
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following knowledge and experience:
- Current technical hands-on experience in designing, configuring, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting in current technologies such as:
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Desktop Images
- Desktop security such as antivirus and patch management
- Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Microsoft Active Directory & GPO
- Ability to understand complexities of enterprise infrastructure (Windows networking, Windows 2008/2012 server clustering, storage, VDI, etc.).
- Hands-on experience managing Windows administration tools (e.g. MDT, USMT, PDQ, vCenter, vMotion, ADUC, GPO, PowerShell, etc.).
- Working experience with Windows networking such as DHCP, DNS, subnets, gateways, etc.
- Experience in building and deploying Windows 10 images or provisioning virtual machines.
- Experience managing, configuring, deploying and troubleshooting client devices including desktops, laptops, thin clients (Dell Wyse) and tablets/mobile devices (Surface Pro, iPad, iPhone, Android).
- Experience managing Windows security patches (WSUS) and Antivirus servers (TrendMicro).
- Experience in creating and applying Microsoft Windows Active Directory GPOs.
- Provides direction in reviewing and analyzing system logs, identifying system issues, applying remediation, and performing system preventative maintenance.
- Experience with managing and troubleshooting Windows OS and applications (Windows 7/10, Office 365 Suite, IE/Edge, etc.).
- In-Depth knowledge of VMware VDI architecture and Airwatch/InTune mobile device management.
- Experience with Network traffic analyses tools.
- Ability in scripting and automation (Powershell).
- Experience creating and updating technical documentation.
Problem Solving – Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Team Work and Interpersonal Skills – Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Project Management – Ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
Supervision – Sets effective long and short-term goals based on a good understanding of management practices; establishes realistic priorities within available resources; provides motivational support; empowers others; assigns decision-making and work functions to others in an appropriate manner to maximize organizational and individual effectiveness.View application