The San Francisco Digital Services Team is transforming how residents interact with the city by building services designed around the people that use them. We have some exciting and high-profile products in our pipeline, from re-building the city’s website from the ground up in Drupal 8, to creating services for affordable housing, cannabis legalization, short-term rentals, immigration legal aid, and more
Led by the Chief Digital Services Officer, the team is comprised of product managers, designers, business analysts, developers, and content strategists. As a member of this new team, you’d have an opportunity to shape the City’s approach to digital services.
The City and County of San Francisco is looking for an experienced Product Manager to join our growing Digital Services team. You will work closely with city departments and stakeholders at all levels, as well as developers & designers on our team and external vendor teams. You will oversee the design, development, and improvement of new and existing digital products. You'll also work with departments to help them understand agile ways of working and a user-centered design approach to building services.
Skills and responsibilities
- Plan discovery processes and development roadmaps.
- Manage products with the wider service in mind
- Write high quality user stories and groom them, and do acceptance testing
- Monitor data and analyze to look for problems and opportunities
- Develop success metrics
- Feed data into policy
- Articulate dependencies and account for them
- Unblock delays and barriers
- Ensure products are accessible and multi-lingual
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships at every level
- Manage release planning, QA, and testing
- Manage resourcing in collaboration with the design and development teams
- Lead and participate in Sprint Planning Meetings to prioritize and scope work for a sprint
- Manage feature tradeoff decisions across the product roadmap
- Work with departments to help them understand Agile, and manage stakeholders so that the product team gets quick decisions and is supported at a senior level
- Provide Engineering with decision support and the "voice of the customer"
- Blog about your work and share lessons with the wider civic tech community in the city and beyond
- Use prototyping to identify powerful value propositions and figure out how to execute on them.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams to explore, prototype, and define the end-to-end product experience.
- Evaluate the benefits and trade-offs of different technical solutions in collaboration with the engineering team and make decisions.
- Evaluate products in the market and make strong build / buy recommendations
- Evaluate different vendors and build strong working relationships with our vendor partners.
- Identifying primary users, secondary users, and keep user need at the center of your work.
- Partner with designers to brainstorm solutions
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of service designers, UX designers, engineers, operational staff and business owners.
- Review and approve the results of an engineering sprint
- Sustain an energized and inspired team - motivate without micro-management.
- Facilitate urgency and progress while maintaining work-life balance
- Ensure that teams keep forward momentum, and balance the need for exploration and focused development as appropriate
$84,084.00-$105,742.00yearly, Includes raises every 6 months until at the top of the range.
At least 2 years of recent experience as a Product Manager for web or mobile products.
- Passion for public service
- Experience using design thinking to solve complex problems
- Experience identifying and designing based on customer needs.
- Experience conducting user/design research or worked closely with design researchers. You value and use both qualitative customer insights, and quantitative customer data to inform decisions.
- Experience balancing the development of new features, with the need to keep products simple and elegant.
- Experience using agile (Scrum / Kanban) to develop products
- Experience managing product teams of 3+ individuals of diverse backgrounds towards a common goal
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to influence and build consensus across a broad range of backgrounds, organizational levels and personalities
- You must be able to influence and motivate talented and brilliant engineers.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication that can adapt for different audiences
- High emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- A sense of humor, patience, and resilience when things get tough.
- Experience developing enterprise products
- Technical and / or design background
- Data and analytical skills
- Able to translate product requirements into wireframes or mockups to gather quick customer research or gather feedback from internal teams
- Experience of working in the public sector
- Passion for open standards.