The City of San Jose is creating the civic technology foundation that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the nation, the City of San Jose manages a large array of services and assets. The City operates a budget of $3+ billion, 6,000+ employees, and serves 1+ million residents and businesses across 180 sq. miles.
We aspire to be as innovative as the community we serve.
The Information Technology Department (IT) aims to provide meaningful impact through smart uses of technology in service to our employees and community. IT enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity, productivity and collaboration tools, and the Customer Contact Center, powered by an expansive municipal area network, and robust compute and storage infrastructure. IT provides citywide strategic planning, enterprise architecture, product-portfolio management, and IT fiscal services.
Come join us realize San Jose’s Smart City Vision!
IT seeks an Enterprise Architect (EA) with full-stack experience to work with City teams in defining the as-is and to-be technology structure for the organization. The ideal candidate is passionate about civil service and technology, can effectively work the hard interoperability and implementation problems with peers, and is excited to build new capabilities to enable the City’s digital transformation as we achieve the San Jose Smart City Vision.
The Enterprise Architect reports to the Assistant Chief Information Officer in executing the City’s IT Strategic Plan.
Work activities include:
- As an architect practitioner, you will apply architecture principles, frameworks, patterns, and reference models to produce a clear and executable architecture. You will promote “architecture-thinking” to staffs in IT and throughout the organization.
- As a pragmatic problem solver, you will assist with solution architectures and provide technical expertise that bridges technology disciplines. Work will require spanning a wide range of technologies, from application and data integration, cloud services, to security and elegant user interface.
- As an excellent collaborator, you will work with IT professionals to drive adherence to technology standards, assess change impacts, mitigate risks, rationalize technology assets, and help guide technology transitions.
- As an effective project manager, you will plan and drive project success towards the EA Roadmap, promote best practices, show the value of the Architecture Plan to the City, and be accountable for performance metrics.
- As a strategic thinker, you will partner with stakeholders across City departments to define requirements and adapt technology platforms to support business strategy and goals.
Skills and responsibilities
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
1. Job Expertise
1. Job Expertise
- Extensive experience as an enterprise architect in large enterprises is highly desirable.
- Expert knowledge of hardware, software, and integration technologies; successful implementation of enterprise architecture methodologies; and organizational development through EA transitions.
- Expert knowledge with demonstrated success in architecting hardware solutions in the compute, networking and storage domains, optimizing design for performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Expert knowledge of virtualization and hybrid cloud architectures.
- Expert knowledge and experience implementing enterprise software solutions and integration platforms, incorporating service design, multi-channel customer-centric design, application programming interface (API), security architecture and business intelligence.
- Expert knowledge in Microsoft technology platform and cloud as-a-service models, e.g. SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, etc. Demonstrated success in leading organizational development through Enterprise Architecture transition. Experience delivering effective Enterprise Architecture concepts, roadmaps, principles, artefacts, guidance papers, and strategies to ensure technology alignment to business goals, utilizing architectural methodology and techniques, e.g. TOGAF; UML, etc.
- Experience with technology evaluation based on cost, benefit, risk, architectural fit and governance.
2. Vision/ Strategic Thinking - Supports, promotes, and ensures alignment with the organization’s vision and values; understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; builds a shared vision with others and influences others to translate vision to action.
3. Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable; promotes a cooperative team work environment with motivational supports and direction.
4. Analytical Thinking – Approaching a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
5. Change Management – Demonstrates support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
6. Coaching - Provides guidance, opportunities and motivation to develop and strengthen knowledge, skills, and competencies to improve employee’s capabilities.
7. Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills - Develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
8. Technology Use/ Management - Uses efficient and cost-effective approaches to integrate technology into the workplace and improve program effectiveness.
9. Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with coursework in computer science, information systems, business administration, or closely related field.
2. Experience: Seven (7) years of experience managing, maintaining, and implementing significant technology programs, computer system infrastructure and design, network operations, security design, application development and configurations and system/servicer administration, including five (5) years of supervisory experience over a technical team.
A Master’s degree in a relevant field and/or possession of enterprise architecture certification, e.g. TOGAF are highly desirable.View application