The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, often referred to as the MBTA or simply The T, is the public operator of most bus, subway, commuter rail and ferry systems in the greater Boston, Massachusetts, area. The MBTA is the largest transit provider in New England, and the fifth largest in the country. The MBTA directly operates or contracts out for service using eight different modes: heavy rail, light rail, bus rapid transit, local/express bus, trackless trolley, commuter rail, commuter boat, and paratransit. In Boston, 55% of all work trips and 42% of all trips into downtown are made by transit. The MBTA district is made up of 175 communities with a total population of 4.7 million. Almost three-quarters of all Massachusetts residents live within the MBTA service area.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area. We’re a small but mighty team of designers, engineers and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology on the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to shape the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as blaze a trail for other transit agencies around the country. We’re always looking for people to join the team who are passionate about improving the daily transportation experience for our 400 million annual riders. Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The MBTA seeks a creative and irreverent visual and communications designer to join the Customer Technology team. You'll work with other designers and engineers across all our technology products to deliver incredible visual and communication designs that make life better for our riders, and help the agency run smoother and deliver more for less. You’re the kind of designer who is undaunted by the magnitude of the challenge we face to delivering better digital products to the oldest subway system in America, and inspired by the incredible opportunity to bring top-notch visual/graphic design into everything we ship. You're creative; fast-moving; detail-oriented; ready to hold and advocate for strong visual/graphic design principles; and passionate about working for an important cause.
Skills and responsibilities
- Produce incredible prototype and finished visual designs for a range of digital and print products
- Deliver high quality, exhaustively defined specifications for design to engineering teams
- Ensure consistency and usability of our visual designs across multiple products and platforms
- Produce other digital, print and other communications collateral in support of the Customer Technology team's identity and work
- Develop, own and advocate for our graphical and communications design principles
- Enhance and innovate around our visual design practice and process, exploring and introducing new tools and approaches
- 3-5 years of production or graphic design experience
- You've delivered to production a range of print and digital assets at all levels of fidelity
- You have a track record of delivering creative and eye-catching designs
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and products within an agile workflow
- A thorough grasp of graphic and information design principles and practice, for print and digital
- You have expertise with Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch
- You've worked a-plenty with InVision, Zeplin and other mockup delivery and prototyping tools, and are also open to being scrappy and trying new things
- You have a developed portfolio
- A passion for transportation/mobility
- Experience working with the needs of users of large, complex, physical systems
- You've done physical prototyping, audio and video, 3D printing and production and in general thought outside the UI