We are looking for an experienced Technology Manager to direct the One Stop Arlington Permitting Solutions (OSAPI) unit in the Department of Technology Services. OSAPI is the County's enterprise-wide initiative to make it easier for all who do business with the County in building and land development and permitting by streamlining and simplifying processes, working toward transparency and predictability of processes, policies and procedures. A large part of this program is the implementation of an integrated software application that will support the County's building and land development and permitting activities involving multiple departments across the County.
The One-Stop Arlington Permitting Solutions unit is responsible for the management and support of a portfolio of COTS (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf) and custom developed business applications that support this initiative including the purchased Acela Civic Platform. The unit provides technical and functional support services for the PermitArlington application ensuring that the application and interfaces to other applications perform in a reliable, efficient and economical manner.
This manager will direct a team of employees and contractors who provide technical and functional support services to internal and external users of PermitArlington. The technical work associated with this position is highly complex and requires working collaboratively with representatives across the county and within DTS to ensure the success of the program The solutions manager reports to the OSAPI Program Manager and also will work closely with a 3-member sponsor committee consisting of Directors of the key implementing departments.
Skills and responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the application life cycle from planning through implementation and ongoing operations;
- Developing, communicating and monitoring project development and implementation schedules, roadmaps, processes, and technical documentation;
- Supervising three application support staff and managing four contractors to ensure that the team is meeting customer expectations;
- Working closely with internal business owners and stakeholders to define the program strategy and project road map, as well as to define user requirements for current and future releases of the application;
- Monitoring the performance of production applications to ensure that internal and external teams work together to resolve any impacts to customers;
- Negotiating Service Level Agreements and monitoring work assignments to ensure adherence to them, modifying as needed;
- Managing resources, including licenses, contracts and vendor relationships and reviewing and approving contractor work;
- Working collaboratively with other IT managers to define solutions for complex resourcing challenges;
- Developing and implementing communications and training plans and communicating regularly with customers on technical and non-technical matters;
- Managing the project budget ensuring compliance with planned spending levels;
- Preparing and presenting status reports, project updates, and budget projections to the Program Manager and Sponsor committee to ensure that critical information is shared in a timely manner; and
- Maintaining currency with new technologies and industry standards for application and relevance to the system.
Bachelor's degree in information management, business administration, planning or related field and significant responsible experience in information technology and applications development that included implementing and managing the life cycle of a complex, multi-faceted system and that involved extensive customer/stakeholder support, interaction and issue/problem resolution.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A record of success and innovation in technology management;
- Experience working within a Microsoft operating environment, including Active Directory and Server/Desktop operating systems;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, with ability to translate complex technical topics for business users and ability to communicate business requirements to a technical audience;
- Experience working in a rapidly changing, fast-paced, transparent environment and with ability to respond quickly and effectively to ambiguity, uncertainty, and changing priorities;
- Experience in environments requiring significant interaction with customers and resolving issues to meet multiple business needs; and
- Familiarity with Accela's Civic Engagement Platform or similar system.
Please submit a letter of application addressing how your experience and training meet the qualifications requirements. Please be sure to address any qualifications related to the following:
- Leadership and communication skills;
- Program/project management experience; and
- Information technology and application development.