The Senior Project Manager plays a critical role in achieving the mission and goals of NPS’ Office of Design and Construction. Under the direction of the Director of Design and Construction, the Senior Project Manager will drive strategic planning and implementation of projects that the District leadership has identified as critical to supporting the District in its mission of improving student achievement. This position will also assume responsibility for the management and delivery of NPS Capital Plans including implementation of District-Wide Long Range Facilities Plan. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to profoundly impact student outcomes by shaping the District’s strategy in a variety of areas.
The Senior Project Manager reports to the Director of Design and Construction. This position works closely with the Project Managers, Facilities Department and other District leadership teams to ensure that the Office of Design and Construction priorities align with the District’s work, and are considered through policy and process decisions. The Senior Project Manager will play a critical role in ensuring that the department meets all goals of its work supporting the District in establishing policies and procedures.
1. Work with the Director to develop priorities and ensure that projects are appropriately aligned.
2. Develop facilities material and system standards for new school design or building retrofit solutions.
3. Act as Program Lead to manage external Architectural/Engineering design consultants and construction contractors.
4. Facilitate the development of the necessary infrastructure, systems and processes to monitor progress toward project completion goals.
5. Develop effective procedure to turn over completed projects to the end users and maintain Archives of the Project Close –Out Documents.
6. Work as a departmental liaison and collaborate with other departments to resolve issues/conflicts to advance completion of the projects.
7. Develop and maintain historic database of the District buildings/properties portfolio.
8. Develop plan and procedures to monitor project scope, schedule and budget overruns.
9. Prepare project progress reports for presentations and dissemination to the Director, District senior management team, the Board members, and the Superintendent’s office.
10. Assist director in planning, development, and implementation of the District Long range facilities Plan.
11. Analyze projects risk and complexity and develop procurement strategies to deliver projects within District Capital and Operating Budget parameters.
12. Provide periodic high level briefing to Director on progress of all design and construction projects.
13. Develop and facilitate ongoing processes to ensure alignment across the office of Design and Construction and other NPS departments.
14. Present reports defining project progress, problems and solutions.
15. Coordinate and align projects plan review and permitting process with the City Planning Board and Sub-Code Office.
16. Identify and utilize data sources to assess the effectiveness of current programs and processes and support the development/expansion of effective programs and services.
17. Create and execute project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
18. Coordinate efforts with local community stakeholders, state and local authorities/agencies to support district mission and goals.
19. Evaluate the value of the services performed by the architectural/engineering design consultants and construction contractors. Recommend actions on change orders.
20. Recommend new approaches to support the organization’s mission and goals.
21. Attend meetings and support Director in carrying out day-to-day operations of the Office of Design and Construction.
22. Identify resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
23. Keep project teams well informed of changes within the District.
24. Effectively communicate capital program information to internal and external stakeholders.
25. Resolve and/or escalate issues to Director in a timely fashion.
26. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate a track record of the following but not limited to:
1. Thorough knowledge of the best design practices, modern construction management techniques, project budgeting, cost estimating and scheduling.
2. Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
3. General knowledge of public school contract laws and familiarity with State agencies such as New Jersey Schools Development Authority, New Jersey Department of Education, and New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, etc.
4. Exhibit working knowledge of Building Codes and regulations of other state/local agencies.
5. Integrate GREEN and sustainable features and techniques into the design and delivery of facility improvement projects.
6. Demonstrate experience with computer software programs including MS project and AutoCad etc.
7. Demonstrate strong interpersonal and public speaking skills and the ability to interact with the District staff at all levels as well as outside governmental agencies.
8. Demonstrate superior oral and written communication skills.
1. Master’s degree in Business Management, Architecture, or Engineering, or Construction Management from an accredited college or university.
2. Five (5) to ten (10) years of professional and progressive level experience in effectively managing Capital Construction Program and supervising multiple capital construction projects.
3. Solid working knowledge of policies and procedures related to project management systems, document management system, and construction procurement services.
4. Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).