The City of Boston’s Digital Team is seeking an entrepreneurial leader to deliver exceptional, user-centered digital government. Boston aims to set new standards in digital engagement, branding, and online services, and our Chief Digital Officer must combine strong vision with the ability to lead a team to deliver on these goals. The Digital Team is a collaborative in-house agency/product studio responsible for the digital interactions of constituents, including: boston.gov, social media channels, and mobile applications. The team also manages the City’s Brand Guidelines and serves as the design and production support for a variety of online and offline efforts across City departments.
The Chief Digital Officer will be responsible for leading the team that makes this vision a reality across the City of Boston. This person will manage a dynamic team of designers, developers, product managers, and communications specialists to evolve and implement our product roadmap and help build the capacity to create outstanding digital experiences across City departments.
The Chief Digital Officer is part of the Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIt), and reports to the City’s Chief Information Officer. This person will work directly with the Mayor’s Office, department heads, and other senior leaders across the City.
- Manages an interdisciplinary team of approximately ten people, providing day-to-day oversight and a long-term vision.
- Continues to develop the City’s internal and public roadmap for its digital services, managing both short-term project plans and a long-term strategic vision.
- Acts as an advocate for customers by building products and processes that make user needs a priority, and by evangelizing user-centered design principles within City government.
- Integrates user research, design thinking, and iterative models of development to the work of the Digital Team.
- Works closely with the Enterprise Applications Team (also part of the Department of Innovation and Technology) to support the implementation of excellent digital experiences within our enterprise technology systems.
- Building on the City’s published Brand Guidelines, manages the team in providing design services and support to advance the goal of a professional, coherent brand identity across digital and print.
- Supports the Digital Team’s efforts to open source it's products, and helps nurture a contributor community of external developers and other users of our published source code.
- Develops digital skills across City departments through training programs, informal peer groups, and other methods of sharing the principles, methods, and tools used by the Digital Team.
- Works closely with the City’s press office and Chief of Constituent Engagement to build a social media presence that provides messaging consistent with the City’s overall communications priorities, and delivers channel-appropriate content across an array of online platforms.
- Supports both long-term, roadmap driven project work and short-term/rapid response needs that are responsive to current events (major storms, unplanned events, high-priority announcements, etc.).
- Performs related work as required.
- At least five (5) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, progressive leadership experience leading cross-functional teams, preferably in work which included digital media/marketing, consulting, product development, and/or government environments. Significant managerial experience required, preferably leading high-collaborative, high-output teams.
- A bachelor's degree in business administration, design, engineering, or a related field, is preferred may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience. A master's degree is highly preferred and may be substituted for three (3) years of the required experience. Additional education in marketing as well as information and technology disciplines is desirable.
A compelling vision for government digital service delivery, and the skills to effectively communicate this vision to a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge of the evolving landscape of digital technologies and an enthusiastic outlook on adapting them to provide exceptional government services.
- A proven track record at building effective and enduring partnerships.
- A demonstrated comfort with the risk-taking, exploratory and self-reflective traits needed for successful innovation.
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking skills.
- Strong influence and negotiation skills
- Ability to effectively drive people, process and technology change in a dynamic and complex operating environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists
- Preference given to candidates with strong knowledge of product management, web, and application technologies and best practices, including: product management software such as Aha of Basecamp, Drupal, web analytics, XHTML, CSS, Adobe CS studio, and RSS feeds.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.