First Place for Youth is the largest agency in California dedicated exclusively to providing access to affordable housing and resources for transition-age foster youth and has grown to become a nationally recognized model. Founded in 1998, First Place seeks to help foster youth build the skills they need to make a successful transition to self-suﬃciency and responsible adulthood. We take a dual approach to our mission, providing results-driven direct service to young people who need support in pursuing their goals and advocating for public policies that will improve the lives of foster youth nationwide.
Repots to the Director of Data and Performance Management
The Data and Reporting Analyst reports to the Director of Data & Performance Management .This is a key member of the Department providing data analysis, visualization, and reporting support to First Place for Youth, its Network Affiliate partners throughout the United States, and its public, foundation, and corporate funders. The Evaluation and Learning Department is focused on strengthening the organization’s reputation as an analytics leader in the child welfare and non-profit spaces, by making data and reports more accessible and informative to staff, leadership, partner organizations and funders, through the creation of well-designed dashboards, simple-to-interpret metrics, and effective training guides.
Skills and responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Primary responsibilities of the Data and Reporting Analyst include augmenting and maintaining the reporting infrastructure for the organization, querying the data warehouse with MySQL in addition to developing reports/dashboards within the case management system (Apricot) and business intelligence software platform (Power BI).
The Data and Reporting Analyst is also responsible for:
• Constructing, augmenting, and/or monitoring series of internal dashboards in Power BI used by front line staff and senior leadership to drive action by staff and/or impact for the youth we serve, ensure compliance with contracts/donor reporting requirements, and support staff and managers with performance management
• Monitoring, updating, and/or where necessary, creating new reports in Apricot; and identifying strategies to reduce the number of questions, forms, and assessments we ask our staff as part of broader data reduction efforts
• Providing documentation, training or technical assistance to staff in accessing and using Apricot and Power BI, manage staff accounts and permissions, provide data entry support to direct service staff when necessary, and maintain confidential data files
• Helping to manage internal metrics dictionary and ensure reports are accurate
• Collaborating with program staff and managers to ensure accuracy and reliability of agency data, and full compliance with internal and external data standards
• Supporting improvements to the organization’s data warehouse and helping to automate key reports
• Responding to complex data requests that require advanced reporting capabilities, and automating the production of standard ones
• Completing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports in collaboration with the Program Department
• Supporting the creation of novel analyses and/or new data visualizations and reports to monitor data quality, support the evaluation of our impact, or improve the design and quality of data presented
• Work in collaboration with colleagues to achieve organizational, departmental, and individual priorities
• Troubleshoot errors/bugs in Apricot & Power BI and work with vendors to resolve
• Other duties as assigned
Oakland,CACan be remote only in CA
- Deadline: n/a
• A Bachelor's degree in related field such as computer science, data analytics, economics, or public policy required.
• Two years of experience as a data/business intelligence analyst with in-depth experience working with and using MySQL and data visualization in Power BI is required.
• Extensive experience and demonstrated knowledge of building and updating reports/dashboards in data visualization tool (ideal candidates will have experience doing so with Microsoft’s Power BI).
• Experience providing database or data reporting support in a social service agency is a plus.
• Strong Microsoft Excel, case management system and business intelligence software experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to problem-solve complex problems and identify and scale solutions.
• Ability to effectively monitor numerous data related details and accurately identify any errors or missing information.
Proficiency in SQL , Power BI , Excel